Marine Satellite Internet Service - What is good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anyone have experience with marine based satellite internet service? We're looking to outfit a 100' vessel with internet service. Does anyone have any positive or negative reviews of the available options? What are the available options??

We've had good luck with the KVH Tracphone VSAT Broadband. The Coast Guard picked it for their ships.

TracPhone V7

We get Broadband service for about $1500 a month, it's the second lowest service plan, I think the lowest is around $1K, cost for the unit was around $27K.

We use VOIP for our calls and it is seamless. Just pick up the handset and call. If you are in a foreign country's boundaries there may be issues, cost per minute etc on the phone calls.

Electronic installation is easy but you will need to fabricate a mount and get a high lift to mount the antenna.

The one I first looked at was SeaTel. The monthly service is way less than 1k

In this business you get what you pay for. The TracPhone V7 is indisputably the Cadillac of Fleet Broadband services, and the most expensive. I had a V7 setup on the Spree during a 110 day survey contract I performed after Hurricane Ike in 2008. I didn't pay for it, so I can't tell you how expensive it was, but we were able to get on FaceBook wherever we were, and at DSL speeds too. The Spree is equipped with a FB-250 Fleet Broadband dome with service from Stratos, a Canadian company. With the Small (9 " dome, $10k) FB unit, I can have up to 128 kb/sec streaming, or 56kbps on demand service. The price difference is incredible. 128 kbps is $50/min, 56kbps on demand, $12 a mb. There is no monthly charge for the FB-250 or FB-500 service. Call me if you want website links or want to come to KW to see it in action.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom