Marine reserves in Southern California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Billy...
Seriously reef check non biased!

I know the water is being depleted of its life I will not argue that I would just hate to see such drastic measures taken.

I know the water is being depleted of its life I will not argue that I would just hate to see such drastic measures taken.

What would you propose if the entire matter was up to you?

I know we all have our preferences and mine would be error on the side on conservation first and adjust as the marine life rebounds.

What would you propose if the entire matter was up to you?

I know we all have our preferences and mine would be error on the side on conservation first and adjust as the marine life rebounds.

What would I do? I will be perfectly honest I do not know what the right answer is...

What I would do is Change limits and size restrictions of fish for both commercial and sport.
I would take a look at the methods that commercial fisherman use and the by catch that it causes.

One thing that I think needs to be looked at and I doubt no one even considers this...
public sportfishing boats should not be allowed to charge for fish cleaning... Without going into details when boats charge for fish cleaning the crew wants everything that comes up to be cleaned regardless of what the fisherman says... Here soon the fish will start spawning so look at the fish counts and see all these boats with between 700-900 fish per boat from Redondo down to san diego. They want the high counts for two reasons, the better the fishing means more passengers and the more fish the more fish cleaning money!

This also is not a national problem it needs to be addressed world wide... Shark finning... the list goes on and on.

So yes changes need to be made and can be made without shutting down the sport

Billy...

Jeff, from what you just posted I'm guess you have no idea what Reef Check does. And if you have even an idea of what they do, what part of their data collection leads you to believe that it's biased?
Billy

Billy...

All groups have their biases. However, their bias (in this case) does not alter the findings.

All groups have their biases. However, their bias (in this case) does not alter the findings.

You are 100% correct Dave. Reef Check's end goal is to provide non-biased scientific data to the people who actually make the decisions. They don't choose to count less or more fish, inverts and algae in certain areas to alter their statistics. They are what they are, straight forward data collectors I know because I'm one of them.

Billy

Billy
Your right I am not involved in reef check and I know little about them... I just find it hard to believe that they are conservation organization that that are 100% unbiased... Im sure reef check is a great group even one of the better out there and if if was not so expensive to volunteer I would .

Billy
Your right I am not involved in reef check and I know little about them... I just find it hard to believe that they are conservation organization that that are 100% unbiased... Im sure reef check is a great group even one of the better out there and if if was not so expensive to volunteer I would .

Dude are you serious? Expensive to volunteer? Jeff maybe it's a good idea to start doing some research before forming opinions. Reef Check - Saving Reefs Worldwide

Billy

Back
Top Bottom