Marine city, Michigan diving heart attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A witness called 911 to tell authorities that a diver surfaced in the water and yelled for help before submerging again. The diver was participating with a group of S.C.U.B.A. divers, but was alone at the time of the incident.

I suppose that begs the usual question; where was the buddy? The article says the water was only 20-25' deep in that area so there shouldn't have been a deco ceiling.

I suppose that begs the usual question; where was the buddy? The article says the water was only 20-25' deep in that area so there shouldn't have been a deco ceiling.

In the story just below the title is says he was diving alone.

I'm still not seeing that. Looks to me like it says he went down with a group and came up solo. It's late, I guess I must be having a reading comprehension failure.

I'm still not seeing that. Looks to me like it says he went down with a group and came up solo. It's late, I guess I must be having a reading comprehension failure.
The story linked in post #1 mentions 57-year-old man dead after S.C.U.B.A. diving incident | News - Home
right below the headline, right above the video...
Man was diving alone
Below that...
The diver was participating with a group of S.C.U.B.A. divers, but was alone at the time of the incident.The witness told another diver from the group, who was on the shore and preparing for another dive. The second diver entered the water and searched for the victim, eventually finding him lifeless in about 20 to 25 feet of water.

Excerpting from Fair haven man dies while diving in Marine City | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Tillery said Allen had been diving with other people as part of what appeared to be a loosely organized diving group.

“There was four of them out there diving,” he said. “They weren’t diving as buddies, as partners, they were diving by themselves.”
It seems that he did not dump his weights are inflate his BC, presuming he was using both.

Excerpting from 2 Deaths On Lakes In Separate Incidents Over The Weekend « CBS Detroit
Fox apparently had a heart condition, and his death was not ruled a drowning.

I knew Jim and dove with him a few times. He was a very accomplished diver with excellent skills. This tragedy is still sinking in and I will truly miss him.

Said to say that James Fox passed away while diving Marine city, Michigan.
This was a river dive James came to shore called for help and a passerby notified
other SCUBA divers in the area. They went in and retrieve James however,
was too late. We believe that he died from a massive heart attack.
This happen Sunday.

That is very sad news. Have dove Marine City and although there is current, it is a fairly safe dive. Was Mr. Fox using a rebreather?

Some more info coming from the Sheriff's is that Jim was diving a single tank which the gauge shows 1800 psi left, he also had a full pony bottle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom