Marine Biology Colleges/ Universities??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBrett22

Lionfish Slayer
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone!!!

Okay i am nearing the end of my second Trimester of School well 1 week haha... and will be going into my 3rd Trimester and i am starting to work on my Collage plan for 10 -12 grade. I am looking into Collages/ Universities with Marine Biology. I have found a few i like anyone know of any better ones?

#1. University of California San Diego (Scripps Institution of Oceanography)

#2 University of Miami ( Marine Biology & Fisheries)

#3 University of Connecticut ( Marine Sciences )

#4 University of Delaware ( Sea Grant )

I ordered the Universities from Favorite to least favorite.

I really like the university of California San Diego because its far from my home and out of Florida and they have a pretty cool campus and a lot to offer.

Have your grades where they need to be and the school will fall into place.

There is also UNC - Wilmington (not as well known) and

Duke University (Expensive)

I am not sure why the University of Delaware is on there since Sea Grant has offices elsewhere. I might be biased, but I found the University of Hawaii's hands-on approach to marine biology an excellent angle. They have resources available year-round and they use them. Almost every class has a field trip to a coral reef or Coconut Island Research Facility. When not in class, most people go diving/surfing/sailing on the weekends. UH has lots of affiliations on site including Sea Grant and even more importantly, NOAA, along with many top leaders in their fields. You may know Dr. Kim Holland and Dr. Yannis Papastimatiou from Shark Week interviews among other things. My $.02.

I am not sure why the University of Delaware is on there since Sea Grant has offices elsewhere. I might be biased, but I found the University of Hawaii's hands-on approach to marine biology an excellent angle. They have resources available year-round and they use them. Almost every class has a field trip to a coral reef or Coconut Island Research Facility. When not in class, most people go diving/surfing/sailing on the weekends. UH has lots of affiliations on site including Sea Grant and even more importantly, NOAA, along with many top leaders in their fields. You may know Dr. Kim Holland and Dr. Yannis Papastimatiou from Shark Week interviews among other things. My $.02.

I looked at University of Hawaii and i decided not to apply because its to far from my parents and my parents would like to see me not have to travel everywhere.

Have your grades where they need to be and the school will fall into place.

So having a GPA of 3.70 or Higher would help or no? Cause right now i have a 3.45

Here is how it is:

You are like a jar of salsa on the shelf (as compared to the fellow students that are also applying) everything you can do to make your self look better that the others will help. No one thing will get you in - it takes lots of things - but one thing can keep you out.

Low grades, no extra-cir. activities, etc.

Hello everyone!!!

Okay i am nearing the end of my second Trimester of School well 1 week haha... and will be going into my 3rd Trimester and i am starting to work on my Collage plan for 10 -12 grade. I am looking into Collages/ Universities with Marine Biology. I have found a few i like anyone know of any better ones?

#1. University of California San Diego (Scripps Institution of Oceanography)

I really like the university of California San Diego because its far from my home and out of Florida and they have a pretty cool campus and a lot to offer.
Good #1 choice. Be forewarned that out-of-state applicants are at a disadvantage in the admissions process here. As a publicly funded state institution, the University of California has a strong in-state admissions bias, and, consequently, successful out-of-state applicants typically have higher standardized test scores, higher GPAs, more extracurricular activities, etc. than their in-state counterparts.

Also, I recommend having someone proofread the personal statement(s) on your college applications. Good luck with everything.

Last edited:
I am a college student in Marine Science at Coastal Carolina University. Marine science degrees through coastal are interdisciplinary so you get marine chem, physical oceanography, and marine geology in addition to marine bio. Very diversified, good for the job market. Tuition isn't huge and its a very nice program.

We are located in myrtle beach SC

Also william and mary in williamsburg virginia. They have VIMS which is a AWESOME program. Also look in to woods hole.

Cool Thanks Everyone!

I am starting Community service by working at a Animal Shelter and as a Life Guard this summer when i get my car so its a lot easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom