Marine Biology Colleges/ Universities??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCSD does not offer any undergraduate degrees in Marine Sciences. For graduate studies, they are world-renowned though. Most of their work is in Physical Oceanography. Miami and UCONN are also mostly Physical Oceanography and Chemical Oceanography.

Most "marine biology" stuff that you are probably interested in is offered in the ecology field. Schools like Texas A&M, University of Oregon, UCSC, U.Washington, U.Alaska, UNC, NOVA-southeast, UF (fisheries) have more marine biology research.

I am a college student in Marine Science at Coastal Carolina University. Marine science degrees through coastal are interdisciplinary so you get marine chem, physical oceanography, and marine geology in addition to marine bio. Very diversified, good for the job market. Tuition isn't huge and its a very nice program.

We are located in myrtle beach SC

Also william and mary in williamsburg virginia. They have VIMS which is a AWESOME program. Also look in to woods hole.

VIMS and Woods Hole don't offer undergraduate degrees either.

I have a friend who got his BS at URI, his MS in Delaware, and is currently working on his PhD at UMaine. He informs me that they all have good programs. And as a plus, the Oceanography and related programs at URI have a fairly knowledgeable man at the helm. Robert Ballard.

But I would make a decision first of what you want to study. Different colleges tend to study the local species. If you want to study tropical reef fish, then you would be better served in, say, south florida than maine. My friend's PhD work is on acquaculture of Atlantic Cod, so he's enjoying the weather in Maine right now. (And his colleagues are diving the Gulf of Maine in that weather.)

Just something to consider.

Eric

UCSD does not offer any undergraduate degrees in Marine Sciences.
This is partially true. Through SIO, UCSD offers a B.S. degree and contiguous B.S./M.S. degree in Earth Sciences. SIO also offers a minor in Earth Sciences.

UCSD students majoring in basic natural science or engineering (including chemistry, physics, biological sciences, earth sciences, engineering, mathematics, etc.) can obtain a minor in Marine Science at SIO, too.

UCSD undergrads can also get course credit for independent research conducted at any of the SIO labs.

University of Alaska Fairbanks - no BS degree in Marine Science (lots of other biological sciences programs though). Has a very good marine science / fisheries Master's program.

Cheap tuition, easy admissions, and Alaska has a ton to offer a student interested in marine biology or fisheries science.

Being far away from family and friends sucks though. In 10 years my mom has visited once, my wife's family never, and we've had one friend from the lower 48 visit. That was when we lived in Fairbanks and the flights were cheaper - out in Dutch, I think it's damn near impossible for anyone to come visit us. But we like that.

-B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom