Marina Entry Fee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverN2H2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well something new!
Marina Fontar is now collecting $1 US per person entering the property.
They already have colored wrist bands, this is not the marine park fee but theirs.
We were told that eventually it will be collected at the guard gate upon entering.
Yesterday they collected from our operator at the boat.
Oh and parking still sucks!

Apparently it's cheaper if you pay in pesos, though it's been a long time since I have seen any Mexican currency smaller than 1 or 2 pesos. This was in another thread at the end of January; it is a translation from an announcement in Spanish:

Good afternoon, I hereby inform you that due to the high operation and maintenance costs involved in the administration of Marina Cozumel, APIQROO is in need of implementing the collection of an access fee to it. , for any user other than the vessels that are within the Register of Vessels that this APIQROO has, the access fee is $13.75 pesos per person, effective as of February 1 of the current year.

I do not omit to tell you that this APIQROO has not made any adjustments to its rates and/or fees to date, for which it has absorbed all the increases in common services in the marinas, as well as the inflationary increase that affects us everybody.

For more information, I invite you to approach the administrative offices of the APIQROO and likewise, we ask you to complete the procedure to obtain your badge as well as the personnel in your charge, which has a cost of $80.00 pesos per person with validity of 1 year from its date of issue.

Apparently it's cheaper if you pay in pesos, though it's been a long time since I have seen any Mexican currency smaller than 1 or 2 pesos. This was in another thread at the end of January; it is a translation from an announcement in Spanish:

Good afternoon, I hereby inform you that due to the high operation and maintenance costs involved in the administration of Marina Cozumel, APIQROO is in need of implementing the collection of an access fee to it. , for any user other than the vessels that are within the Register of Vessels that this APIQROO has, the access fee is $13.75 pesos per person, effective as of February 1 of the current year.

I do not omit to tell you that this APIQROO has not made any adjustments to its rates and/or fees to date, for which it has absorbed all the increases in common services in the marinas, as well as the inflationary increase that affects us everybody.

For more information, I invite you to approach the administrative offices of the APIQROO and likewise, we ask you to complete the procedure to obtain your badge as well as the personnel in your charge, which has a cost of $80.00 pesos per person with validity of 1 year from its date of issue.
I may be in error but I seem to remember hearing a while back that Fonatur marina is having similar problems as the old Caleta with increasing numbers of tenants who are not paying their rents. Much the same as folks not paying their property taxes and the every increasing number of pirate boats in the park. Due to the inability to enforce the basic rules and laws Cozumel always seems to go back to the tried and true tradition of squeezing the gringos who were already following the rules.
It will be interesting to see if they actually enforce the band requirements on Sundays when the local residents go boating from the marina.

Docks charging $1 then one suddenly $25.

Mariana charging $1. What do you think that is 2 years from now?

Just nutz.

I may be in error but I seem to remember hearing a while back that Fonatur marina is having similar problems as the old Caleta with increasing numbers of tenants who are not paying their rents. Much the same as folks not paying their property taxes and the every increasing number of pirate boats in the park. Due to the inability to enforce the basic rules and laws Cozumel always seems to go back to the tried and true tradition of squeezing the gringos who were already following the rules.
It will be interesting to see if they actually enforce the band requirements on Sundays when the local residents go boating from the marina.
If the boat owner will not pay the 700 pesos a month to keep their boat in the marina then kick them out. There are boats willing to pay that have no marina slip.

Docks charging $1 then one suddenly $25.
I think the Palace dock access charge is an outlier. Many (most?) Cozumel dive ops are not quartered at hotels and their business models depend on picking up divers at their hotels; adding US$25/day to what it costs to dive is not sustainable for them.

BTW, are we sure the Palace daily dock charge is US$25 and not 25 pesos?

BTW, are we sure the Palace daily dock charge is US$25 and not 25 pesos?
Someone in the other thread said they called the Palace to confirm it is US.

Does anyone know if this fee will be collected at the shack as we enter the marina? I wonder how they'll keep track of that? We're usually in a taxi that has anywhere from 3 to 6 people in it. Are they going to trust the guy at the guard shack to report and deposit accurately? Or will they make the determination based on how many get on the boats in the marina? Ugh. It's not about the money - it's about 68 cents - it's just another stupid thing to enforce and to cause discord.

Does anyone know if this fee will be collected at the shack as we enter the marina?
If the taxi driver has to pay to get past the shack,,,,,,it's going to bring a whole new meaning to the 'Bag-Drag' when he drops you off at the road.

Back
Top Bottom