Marijuana Use and Safe Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well... it's pretty clear that the Canadians are trail blazing to some extent..... it's not a surprise that this will go together with a great deal of reflection and adjustment.

Perhaps the Dutch model could offer some guidance.

R..

My guess is the research has been done, you just have ask the right researcher. Pretty much any scuba bum working a vacation cattle boat would be happy to regale you with their pot and scuba adventures. I haven’t smoked in more than 20 years and miss it naught.

I had much better IDEA! Why we need to discuss how much time should pass between weedding and diving, when we have great alternative - Nitrous oxide :)
Just add some in to the diving tank and relax! :) why not?
Everybody can have his own way, how to pass....
(for slowpokes - it was a black joke above!)

I suppose, that altered state of consciousness is fully UNacceptable in the diving. Does not matter where is it from, alcohol, weed, LSD, or any other things. IT IS NOT SAFE.

But when I was young, once I try (not in the diving :) ) and it was really like time was stretched... It is very usefull thing in the dive, when you have a limit of NDL... nice idea... but unfortunatelly fully unsafe. very pity :(

I had dives after small alcohol doses (like one-two shots or one glass of beer). Nothing special, just sometimes you can get headaches after.
But I will never dive after alcohol drinks within 12 hours. And reason is very joking and simple -
After alcohol drinks you mask had crazy fogging! And nothing helps with it, just one rule - do not drink alco 12 hours before the dive :)

I had much better IDEA! Why we need to discuss how much time should pass between weedding and diving, when we have great alternative - Nitrous oxide :)
Just add some in to the diving tank and relax! :) why not?
Everybody can have his own way, how to pass....
(for slowpokes - it was a black joke above!)

I suppose, that altered state of consciousness is fully UNacceptable in the diving. Does not matter where is it from, alcohol, weed, LSD, or any other things. IT IS NOT SAFE.

But when I was young, once I try (not in the diving :) ) and it was really like time was stretched... It is very usefull thing in the dive, when you have a limit of NDL... nice idea... but unfortunatelly fully unsafe. very pity :(

I had dives after small alcohol doses (like one-two shots or one glass of beer). Nothing special, just sometimes you can get headaches after.
But I will never dive after alcohol drinks within 12 hours. And reason is very joking and simple -
After alcohol drinks you mask had crazy fogging! And nothing helps with it, just one rule - do not drink alco 12 hours before the dive :)

Alcohol also dehydrates you like crazy. May contribute to DCS.

Based on what? N2 and THC are not acting in even remotely the same way on neural tissues.

This would be the CYA approach which seems a bit much when you are only talking about personal risk taking not community outrage and litigation.

Those of us in WA and and Oregon have had legal medical and now recreational dope for quite a few years now. At least in the Seattle area there have been no known fatalities associated with pot or edibles and diving. Also very few automobile injuries compared to alcohol. If you are trying to decide personally when to dive after smoking I would suggest 24 to 48 hours based on the half life of THC.​

In Seattle, I believe an open water student died during a training dive and was found to have been using cannabis. It ended up short-circuiting the lawsuit that followed. I don't have time right now to look up the details, but my recollection was that this was 10 or more years ago (before legalization), female student, and alcohol was also involved.

As noted above, if there's THC in your blood and you're hurt or killed diving, you've probably given up any hope of recovering damages (assuming somebody else was at fault) in a court.

In Seattle, I believe an open water student died during a training dive and was found to have been using cannabis. It ended up short-circuiting the lawsuit that followed. I don't have time right now to look up the details, but my recollection was that this was 10 or more years ago (before legalization), female student, and alcohol was also involved.

As noted above, if there's THC in your blood and you're hurt or killed diving, you've probably given up any hope of recovering damages (assuming somebody else was at fault) in a court.
In that case, maybe dive operations will start handing out joints before a dive trip.

Alcohol also dehydrates you like crazy. May contribute to DCS.

I suppose getting giggles underwater could run one OOG while everyone else is at half-tank... Also, I see an emerging market for munch-able reg mouthpieces.

Back
Top Bottom