Marianna 9.3.06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
It was a beautiful day for a dive, even if it was just snorkeling. If you have to be forced into a snorkeling trip, Merrits Mill Pond in Marianna is the place to be dragged. MDB insisted on a trip out there. So, we made a posting, invited all to go, one person agreed. She had all night to think about what she had done, and wisely backed out. :D

We were wusses, we admit this. I wore a 1 mil, with a shortie over it, and was very very warm. MDB wore a (I think) 3mil full suit with a hooded vest. She stayed cofortable for quite a while. (which is saying something, her wussiness makes me look macho, why do you think I keep her around?)

We arrived at the boat launch sometime after eleven. It had a pretty full lot, but the ramp itself was pretty tame. A large pontoon boat had just left, as well as a couple guys in a smallish fiberglass boat. There was the ONE guy who caused me boat envy, but he seemed nice enough.

DSCN1637.jpg

DSCN1638.jpg

We started rowing our way out, since I bought new oars, and replaced a missing oar lock. This went well for a bit (aside from the fact the boat kept turning circles, I am sure it was the wind, or something). Then WHAM, one of the mounts let loose. The one I almost replaced, but thought, "hey, it's in there, I am sure it will hold". So back to electric (and slow) motoring for us.

DSCN1640.jpg

We made our way over to Shang Ri La and tied off there. It is an interesting site, with a large cliff. Out past the cavern entrance, there is an odd fissure in the pond floor, filled with weeds. On top there is the remains of an old foundation that someone cut out of the rock. The woods around had a interesting jungle feel, as if I had discovered some ancient ruins on some tropical island.

DSCN1645.jpg

DSCN1643.jpg

DSCN1652.jpg

We then putted back towards the boat launch. Much of the way with myself dragging the boat as I snorkeled. MDB stayed with me for quite a while, then pulled herself up into the boat for lunch. We ate in the boat, then discovered the platform for Twin Caves. We took a few moments to rest there.

DSCN1657.jpg

DSCN1658.jpg

DSCN1662.jpg

We left there, and decided to stop in at the dive shop. It is an interesting place. Not only do they cater to divers, but they have pontoon boats for rent, at very reasonable prices.

http://www.caveadventurers.com/

DSCN1668.jpg

Next stop, more meandering and goofing off.

DSCN1670.jpg

DSCN1672-1.jpg

DSCN1674-1.jpg

We had a great time. I will confess, there is a noticable lack of underwater shots. My main reason for going so early in the day. The housing's shutter release broke off inside the housing, making it impossible to use. The other reason for going here, is the crawfish. Unfortunately, it was too early in the day to get many of them. We ended up with a dozzen, a couple rather large ones. Next time we will get more, I promise.

DSCN1686-1.jpg

ahhh so that WAS you guys.

Glad you had a good time. Did you go to Morrison today with KCH to kill her tank?

one of these days, we will do an overnight in the area. Maybe snorkel the run below the pond. It is a popular tubing run. Do a night dive, and get in some cavern dives.

Yesterday was not a good day for me. Started to feel ill, so I stuck close to home. I did attempted to clean the car; vacuumed the trunk and inside and washed the front and one side and then felt like I was going to pass out. I went inside to cool down drank a gatorade. Thought I had recovered, so went back outside. No recovery. So have a half washed car.

Still feeling very peculiar today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom