Mariana Trench in Perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for reference, a scuba tank that is fully pressurized at the surface will implode around 15,000 ft.

Really? has anyone actually done that to check?

A tank has to be more resistant to implosion than explosion.

Not saying I dont believe you,but it sounds wrong to me.

Edit: pressure at 15,000 feet is around 6800psi. if the tank was filled to 3000 psi at the surface then the pressure differential is 3800 psi. I have seen an Al tank filled to 3800 psi and it certainly did not explode. (If it had I would not be writing this! )

Cylindrical objects are much more susceptible to crushing/implosion than explosion since the internal pressure puts the metal in tension, evenly dispersing the load. Cylinders under external pressure don't fail due to compressive loading, but do fail due to buckling of the non-uniform material thickness and "out-of-roundness".

Look how much internal pressure a plastic soda bottle or aluminum can will withstand, versus vacuum pressure.

So if the tank imploded at say 15,000 feet down, how long would it take the bubbles to get to the surface? Would they disperse so far that you wouldn't even notice the air reaching the surface? Hmm...

So if the tank imploded at say 15,000 feet down, how long would it take the bubbles to get to the surface? ........

it depends on the terminal velocity of the bubbles ...

So if the tank imploded at say 15,000 feet down, how long would it take the bubbles to get to the surface? Would they disperse so far that you wouldn't even notice the air reaching the surface? Hmm...

It depends on whether or not they stop, and ask for directions

I suspect that few if any bubbles would actually make it to the surface. My guess is that most would go into solution on the way up.

If you have a tank to donate we could test it in the Monterey canyon at a lower fill pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom