Mares X/Pure Vision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomie

Reaction score
Hi :) I'm relatively new to scuba diving -> I'm currently putting together my gear after hiring gear up to now.

I read some positive comments about the Mares masks on this forum and they seem to also fit my face well. I really like the Mares Pure vision because of the unobstructed view in the middle of the mask.

But after reading the specs on the Mares site I feel less sure about which one to choose. The pure vision seems to have almost double the internal volume of the X-vision? Is that just because there is no frame piece over the nose taking up volume or are the lenses further away from the eyes? (more restricted viewing angle?)
They also don't mention the 'angled' lenses as with the X-vision (I was told angling the lenses towards the forehead improves vision when horizontal under water).

So I guess my question is which is the better mask? I saw a few people who has both masks on the forum and would appreciate some feedback on practical experience with them.

I have both masks.
I prefer the regular X Vision hands down.

They are identical in the angled glass, and shape. The difference is the glass above the nose vs separate lenses.
I use my Pure Vision for snorkelling and as a back up.

I also prefer a black skirt, and that is not available with the pure vision.

Hope this helps.

Divedoggie:
I also prefer a black skirt, and that is not available with the pure vision.

I believe Mares do make Pure Visions in black. Not sure if it's available in your market. :huh:

Really the whole "volume of a mask" thing is a way over rated spec. It really means virtually nothing unless you are doing very deep free diving, and need to equalize a mask using as little air as possible, but if scuba diving... you have air to clear or equalize any time you want - so it really means nothing - it just doesn't matter... Like Angelina Jolie having morning breath.

wunat:
I believe Mares do make Pure Visions in black. Not sure if it's available in your market. :huh:

I have a pure vision with black skirt and I've been using it for almost a year now (100 dives), no problem with it.

ps - pure vison with more volume? I didn't notice it . its just a number or percentage, I don't care.

clgsamson, yeah according to their site its 180cm3 vs 105cm3 even though the weight is only slightly more at 199g vs 190g - must say I didn't notice either difference in the store at all.

Thanks for all the quick responses. It made up my mind. :wink:

Hi Nomie,

The internal volume difference is simply due to the calculation with two lenses vs. one. We recently started offering the Pure Vision in all black in the US. If your LDS does not have them, they can order through our customer service department or I am sure Larry can get it for you.

Regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks, I live in South Africa and got the all black pure vision, even though I would have prefered the clear pure vision with clear/silver frame, but for some reason they only have it with a yellow/black frame around here which i don't find very attractive.

nomie:
Hi Phil,

Thanks, I live in South Africa and got the all black pure vision, even though I would have prefered the clear pure vision with clear/silver frame, but for some reason they only have it with a yellow/black frame around here which i don't find very attractive.
nomie...dive with your new mask!

Back
Top Bottom