Mares Trilastic 5-4-3 warm enough??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voucher76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm Going to Sharm el Sheik(1 week liveaboard) this week:D and have just bought a Mares Trilastic 5-4-3. Now I'm a little worried about this suit not being warm enough. I have a 3mm hood which I will wear, but still a little concerned if I will be able to stay warm.

Does anybody have any experience with this suit?? Also do you recommend to wear a torsoe rash-guard under the full suit for extra warmth??

Thanks for the help.

You should be fine but it all depends on your tolerance of cold and how many dives you plan on doing. Make sure the suit fits you well, and the sleeves, neck and ankles do not gap.

That suit is ideal for water temps from 75-80. I would dive in that suit in water as cold as 70 degrees and be plenty warm, but I dive in 50 degree water all the time. My guess is the hood will be overkill, but nice to wear if you will be diving at night. This suit is very comfortable and should be great for your trip.

Suggestion...since you are diving every day, I would take 2 wetsuits. That way, you have one to dry out and you won't have to put a damp suit on every morning. You will be a lot more comfortable.

Have fun in the Red Sea. I am jealous!

Voucher,

Please let me know how your trip was when you return as I am planning a liveaboard trip in 2008. Which liveaboard are you using?

Thanks,

Vanessar

First thanks for the replies!!
I guess the suit will be just fine( I come from Denmark where 50 F is normal - not with this suit though)

vanessar - I don't know what liveaboard we'll be trvelling with -yet. I'll let you know when I get back next week.

Best regards

Voucher76,

Hope you have a great trip.

Thanks,

Vanessar

Just got home from the RED SEA last week. We originally planned to stay in the Sharm area, but we changed plans and went to Brothers as well.. I'm very glad we did.
Lots more to see, lots of sharks in particular. Both longimanus and thresher and lots of reefsharks(I lost count)

See this link.. we had a very nice encounter with a Longimanus at 30 meters. :D

YouTube - Longimanus - Brother Islands Red Sea

About the wetsuit, well it was just perfect.
The water was between 23-25 Celcius. I was also wearing a 1mm torsoe rashguard under it and a 3mm hood. I don't know if that made any difference. But the suit was very fine even below 30 meters. The dives were not very long, only between 40 min and 1 hour.
However I believe that any colder than 21-23 C, this suit will be a little too cold for long and deep dives.
The best thing about the suit was putting on and taking off the wetsuit. While the others were struggeling with their 7mm semi-dry, I was in and out of mine in less than 30 sec. VERY easy to put on. I might add that I have the Deluxe version of the Trilastic.

Vanessar you asked what Liveaboard I used.
The boat I was on was named Golden Dolphin II(I belive that was the name of the company as well, see their website).

Golden Dolphin Safari World: Red Sea Liveaboards & Scuba Diving - live aboard diving safaris, Red Sea, Egypt

I can higly recommed this company. Very competent guides(two of them), nice food onboard and free Nitrox. I have only positive things to say about the tour..:D

Best regard
Rune

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom