Mares Sten Mini Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mares Miniministen holster can be modified to be fitted to a webbing belt by cutting 3 slots with a Dremel tool. The photos show the slots and how the line is wound around the gun for stuffing it into the holster. A rubber chair leg foot is pressed onto the spear tip for protection. You only load the gun once it is withdrawn from the holster. I have used this setup for decades and have gone through two guns. The hand loader with an elastic loop goes on your wrist.
Miniministens 1.JPG

Miniministens 2.JPG

Miniministens 3.JPG

Miniministens 4.JPG

The speartip floppers can be held closed by a rubber band. Originally the speartip for these guns had metal half loops that pivoted on the tip's shank to swing forwards over the ends of the floppers and held them closed.

How I deployed the “Miniministen” during a dive was I would pull the spear free without looking at it by feel from the upper and lower holster clips and then let it drop down. I would next retrieve the spear using the line, pull the rubber speartip cover off and put it in my dive glove. Then the gun was pulled up out of the holster and the dangling spear retrieved by the short length of free line and the spear tail was inserted in the muzzle. I placed the gun butt on my thigh and pushed the shaft in using the hand loader, set the safety on, pulled the remaining line loops which were still wrapped end to end off the gun and then rewrapped the line on the gun’s line wrap hooks. About two minutes work from start to finish, but it could be done quicker.

Back
Top Bottom