Mares Sten Mini Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just got a Mares Sten Mini Mini. I wanted this gun for the days I decided to bring my camera and spearing a fish for dinner was a secondary consideration.
The manual is less than clear on setting this thing up but I think I got it. I do however have a few questions I am hoping you guys can help me out with.
The gun came with a cap for the nosecone that has a hole in it as if it is intended to be attached to something and used. Is this cap necessary? Should I be using it in the water? outside the water? It seems that in the water it isn't going to do much and may be difficult to get off as I descend. Outside of the water it will trap in moisture which cant be good. If I should be using it, how should it be rigged (that hole thing)

My next question is regarding that holster. It seems pretty cool, but... The holster doesn't seem to make any allowances for the chord. I put the gun in the holster (unloaded) then the spear in the slot provided, then as I proceeded to wrap the line I realized it is basically tying the gun into the holster. This would necessitate pulling the trigger to release the line before removing the gun. It just seems to me I am missing something, it cant be that difficult or that poorly designed.

My last question is a general one. Has anyone come up with a DIY flapper retainer? Personally I cant believe anyone would make a spear tip without any sort of retainer.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated? Photos would be worth their weight in snorkel keepers!

Thanks

John

Am i the only one with a mini mini?

I'm on my second mini mini sten (the first lasted 15 years). It's a neat little gun and is an excellent choice for bagging dinner when it comes up unexpectedly while you're doing something else.

To your questions;

Ditch the black cover, it's just a dust cover for land. Store you gun in a clean dry place and you won't need it unless you live in a dust factory or a saw mill.

Ditch the shock cord and get an auto-coil (12ft?). Lot's of serious hunters hate them on big guns, however for this gun it is perfect.

Ditch the factory tip and get another. ANY other.

Photos to follow of my latest setup.

Thanks! Great info.

I guess that auto-coil solve the holster issue. I'm shopping for one now!

i have a friend who uses one as a backup one and straps it loaded to his calf... Im always a little nervous swimming behind him but ive seen it in action- looks cool. He has a bungie worked up to keep it from falling out.

Ive thought of getting one for night diving... hogfish are an even easier target when they are sleeping.

i have a friend who uses one as a backup one and straps it loaded to his calf... Im always a little nervous swimming behind him but ive seen it in action- looks cool. He has a bungie worked up to keep it from falling out.

Ive thought of getting one for night diving... hogfish are an even easier target when they are sleeping.

I've always thought about strapping a small gun to my leg in case I see a nice fish under a rock

I do wear mine high on my hip with an extra-long strap around my waist. This keeps it from falling down my leg which is one annoying thing about the thigh straps.

However, anyone who wears this thing LOADED is asking for trouble. Do we really need to go into all the reasons why? :confused:

The time it takes to draw and load is small compared to the potential disaster of shooting yourself or someone else. :idk:

I agree. I've been hunting with a larger band gun and while my friends swim with theirs loaded, I do not. Unlike the pneumatic guns, the band guns hold the spear in place so loading is a matter of setting the 2 bands. I'm not sure what will take longer, but I've done just fine loading my band gun only when a target presents itself. Like posted above, I may lose a few fish or opportunities, but at least I wont be looking up "spear removal from foot" or worse in google.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom