Mares Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson once bubbled...
I couldn't find any SS S hooks, so I bought 3/16" SS shackles.
These worked out great.

I used a round file to remove the side rib from the post on my Volos.
I spread the shackle open to fit over the post, then squeezed it tight with a pair of vise grips. It's snug, but rotates freely.
The screw shaft was inserted through one side of the shackle, the spring loop, and nylon cord and threaded inot the far side of the shackle. I used a thread die to incread the thread on the shaft, so the screw would extend thru the shanckl about 3/16".

Once I has happy with it, I place the extending screw into a vise and pinched (squashed) the threads so the could not come apart.

I lost a fin the other day so its time to build a new set of spring straps. Is your shackle method still holding up well and working great? I'm still thinking I like it better than the s-hooks but those certainly were bulletproof (no, the strap did not let go causing loss of fin).

Tom

They are working just fine. No problems.
If you want them removeable , use some nail polish on the threads of the shaft instead of crushing the threads in a vise, or you could add a SS lock nut (not a minimal approach however).

Just a note: the shackles are a little more expensive than S hooks. ( I paid about $3 Can each x 4).

Diving last weekend.......
Air was balmy about 50°F
but the water was 40- 42°F

If you want to dive in Canada, you have to be committed!
(ya, committed to the funny farm maybe)

Mike D
:blfish:

Thanks!

I dived Canada one week a few years ago, Tobermory. It was among the best diving I've ever done.

Tom

found a picture
not very clear.
But shows the idea

Mike D

WreckWriter bubbled: "Tobermory. It was among the best diving I've ever done."

Toby was the best until about 10 years ago.
The zebra mussels have cleaned up the Lake Ontario, such that IMHO Kingston and Brockville now has same visibilit, and the wrecks are still intact. Most of the Toby wrecks are broken up.

The St Larence river also has no thermocline.
All surface water from lake Ontario

MikeD

mddolson once bubbled...
WreckWriter bubbled: "Tobermory. It was among the best diving I've ever done."

Toby was the best until about 10 years ago.
The zebra mussels have cleaned up the Lake Ontario, such that IMHO Kingston and Brockville now has same visibilit, and the wrecks are still intact. Most of the Toby wrecks are broken up.

The St Larence river also has no thermocline.
All surface water from lake Ontario

MikeD

A few of the shallow ones I did were busted up but deeper ones, Arabia and Forrest City were very intact. Viz was good but sure was cold!

Tom

Spring straps in 15 minutes. :D Thanks for the parts list and how to everyone. I ordered the springs from McMaster Carr yesterday and they were here at 11 am today. I went to the hardware store and paid 89 cents a piece for the SS S hooks and 2 bucks for 10 feet of vinyl tubing. When all was said and done I had new straps on my Tusa Imprex fins in 15 minutes. I was lucky and the 11 inch spring was a perfect fit. Thanks again for the help everyone.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom