Mares smart vs Suunto ZOOP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
CecilPetr

CecilPetr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Cannot chose between these two Suunto looks better for diving cause bigger screen and easier to read. But Mares looks better to wear like watch when not diving and sometimes for snorkeling. I think Suunto would be over kill to wear casually. Im pretty new to diving so I don't really know whats the difference between these two
Thank you for advices

There are models that exist to wear as a watch, and both of these models can do that, with dime/date/stopwatch/weather functions on the surface.

The mares is a bit kinder on the wrist for every day wear.

Do you want to dive a RGBM computer? Cressi, Mares, and Suunto are regarded as the most conservative computers, not so much on 1st dive as repetitive dives. Just one factor to take into account when purchasing a first computer

I'm not familiar with the Mares computer but have had a few Suuntos. I would not want to wear one as a watch. Not only are the Zoops too large for that, in my opinion, but after a few minutes the display turns off and has to be turned back on by button press. It then takes a few seconds for it to go thru its start-up process. Just seems like too much trouble.

I now use an Oceanic OCi which has a watch size display. It is slightly larger than a standard watch but not by much and the display is always on. And although the OCi is smaller than the Zoop, the display image is only marginally smaller. The OCi is an air integrated computer but you don't have to use it as one (I do). Oceanic computers run a dual algorithm, one conservative and the other a bit more liberal.

Last I looked, the OCi is priced below $500.00 for the computer. You can always add the transmitter later if you want AI.

I'm sure there are other dive watch computers on the market, but the only other one I'm familiar with is the Shearwater Teric. It is probably the best one out there, but is about double the price of the OCi. It is also AI and uses the same transmitter as Oceanic.

I have been diving a Suunto Cobra for 22 years and it has never caused me to cut a dive short.

Back
Top Bottom