Mares Semi dry suits, are they any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rharris27

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm debating purchasing a Semi dry suit, it's a 'Mares Iceman Isotherm' semi dry suit... I've never really used any Mares equipment and would like some personal feedback from people who have had this Semi dry suit or any other Mares semi dry suits and let me know how they are.

I've just bought one Mares she dives duo. Just waiting for it to arrive - will report once I've used it. :)

I previously owned a Mares Isotherm. It worked very well at preventing water flushing through the suit. In fact, my torso would usually remain fairly dry after the dive. However, the neoprene compressed too much at depth, to keep me warm. Diving in California where the water temperature averages 47-55 all year long, I was very cold at 60 feet. At 80-120 feet, I was right down miserable. I will say that I don't tolerate the cold very well. I'm 5'5 and weiged about 125lbs at that time, which put me just south of single digit body fat percentage.

If you can tolerate the cold better than I can, this suit may actually work. I did find the arms too short for my liking. The outer cuff of the arm was too short to go over the gauntlet of my glove. With a long lanyard, I didn't have any problems donning the suit absent any help.

C.

Mares Isotherm is the best semi dry suit I ever owned. It will keep me comfortable for 60 min in 100 Ft , 68 F water. The deco is not fun but it is acceptable. For no deco diving it is great.

From what I have observed it's one of the few true semi-dry suits, an odd breed. There are many wet suits billed as semi-dry but most just have some above average sealing.

I have not used one but based on reports they do great if that amount of neoprene works for the depths and temperatures you are dealing with. The sealing and resulting lack of water flow elevate if from warm enough to being great thermal protection. However as I said in terms pf thermal protection it is what it is. That's consistent with claudehl's experience.

Is this a new purchase? I can't find any sign of the product on the Mares website, including international portals. I know Isotherms were going cheap as closeouts a few years ago.

Does self donning mean much for you? Horizontal back zips can be touchy.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom