Mares Rover vs ScubaPro C200 octo ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idive2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to purchase a second stage and I am having trouble finding another R190
to purchase new. This is an older model so it may be discontinued. Has anyone had any
experience with the Mares Rover ? It looks like an entry level reg but if it is a solid second stage
I would consider it. Not on a tight budget so price is not a major factor. I see Scubapro has a
C200 which I have not heard mentioned as often. It is more expensive than the Mares but if it is a solid
performer would look at this as well. Any comments on the Mares Rover or the Scubapro C200 would
be appreciated.

both are good regulators.
The c200 is almost similar to the c300, only without the airflow adjustment. I use the c200 as a backup, and sometimes would breathe with it. it
breathes easy, but there are some complains about havin a slight air flow restriction when they look up while breathing.
I would suggest you check the parts availability for both regs. and the price of servicing. would definitely go for the one which offers better service support if budget is not a problem.
do check out the scubapro r295 and r395 too. slightly dated, but they have less movin parts than c200.

Most conventional second stages will breath harder when looking up as the center of the diaphragm is now higher in the water column and provides less assist to the lever when you inhale. It's just the other side of the coin of a regulator breathing easier when you have the diaphragm facing straight down and it's all related to case geometry fault.

Which is to say, if divers are complaining about the C200 or C300 being harder to breathe when looking up, it's because they've noticed how easy breathing it is in a normal swimming position as opposed to a cheap second stage that breathes equally bad in all positions.

I disagree about the R190/295/380/395 having fewer moving parts.

The C200 has a poppet that holds the replaceable seat and rides in two grooves inside an air barrel that has an adjustable orifice screwed in one end. The poppet is retained and moved by a one piece rotating lever. Behind the poppet is a spring and spring pad. It's dirt simple.

The R whatever second stages have a poppet carrying the same replaceable seat. That poppet passes through a plastic bushing and is located in the aspirator, which is screwed to the inlet fitting. That poppet and seat are pressed against the same screwed in adjustable orifice that's in the C200 by a spring. The poppet/seat is lifted off the orifice by one piece lever wit two feet, both of which must be precisely aligned, and the lever is is retained on the poppet stem by a nut and washer.

Both the R series and the C200/300 have venturi adjustments. It's a one piece flow vane on the R series and a one piece axial adjustment on the air barrel in the C200 and C300.

Thus, the number of moving parts the same in the R series and the C200, and the total parts count in the C200 is lower with fewer things that can go wrong or come loose, and the flow rate and inhalation effort is better.

Appreciate all the info. I will keep the C200 and C300 in mind. May just wait and look around for possibly
someone selling a used R190. I had two R190's but at some point in time the case on one apparantly distorted
and the front cover would not tighten properly. It was fairly old and was in the sun a lot so may have had something
to do with it. Since it will be an octo or a second stage on a pony bottle I don't really need a balanced reg.
Just looking for a simple dependable unbalanced second stage. Thanks again for the comments !

I'm leaning toward the C200 to stay with the scubapro line. It's a bit more than some of the seconds geared
toward use for an octo but figure at some point this sounds like it would work out as a primary as well.

Back
Top Bottom