Mares R2 Axis and Vector Origin BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maltaman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,

The local Mares supplier here in Malta is offering a deal including Bare wetsuit, R2 Axis regulator and Vector Origin BC. Am just wondering what people's experiences are with this gear - I'm basically a beginner, just finishing my AOW, diving will be done mostly up to max 35m in water temp. between 17 and 22 deg in the Med. Any comments??

Hmmm what your dealer is offering you is a pretty bare-bones/entry level diving package. Besides all the usual caveats about buying gear that will last you a few years as your diving skills develop. I'd say that although this is a decent package, you could do better, especially with the reg. You could do better. Maybe with a Mares MR12 Axis pro reg.

When I was looking for a BC, I looked at the vector origin. Very nice, bare bones BC in fact it has good ratings from Scuba diving mag http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/buoyancy_compensators/no-nonsense_bcs/2/
I'm guessing that you'd be wearing a 5mm with a hood in those water temps? That's going to be a fair amount of lead on your waist, maybe you should look at a weight integrated BC in distributing that weight more evenly.

In short although I don't think you're buying 'bad' gear per se. I think you could do better, especially with regards to the reg.

You should be getting a very good deal on that reg... it is discontinued. It was replaced with the Rebel.. The MR12 Rebel would sell for about $175 for the 1st and second - so hopefully they are much cheaper than that for the unbalanced R2 Axis. But if it is only 125 or so - it's a good reg choice for that price range.

But I also agree, I'd step up to something weight integrated, like maybe a Dacor Talon if you want to stay in the Mares/Dacor family. I'll avoid the Zeagle comments, because I'm sure any minute you'll get to wade through the BP/W posts....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom