Mares puck pro 2 vs 3 console...worth it for the compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you use one in the 3-instrument console? The one on other side, BTW, is not much better, or at least one or three rental ones I had weren't: it's still bulkier than I like and still awkward to hold. Miflex hose would probably help, if you intend to actually use it. Where we dive I don't need mine at all so it lives in my pocket -- or on my wife's wrist, when she feels like practicing navigation.

No, all the wrist computers I've owned have had an integrated compass. My point was simply everyone is doing different dives and have different needs. In my case, we're often exploring with variable visibility and a slate would be useless, despite the fact I use a compass. In fact, I've never used a slate outside of wreck training dive, but I can see there utility for other divers.

Thank you all for the insight. nice to know a few people have tried the console mounted compasses and also found them bulky. Gonna keep looking for deals....budget just seems to get tighter and tighter each day.

What about a console computer with a digital compass?

I think cobra 3 is about the only the console computer with compass but 2x Puck Pros @$125 ea and 2x DGX compasses @$40 ea add up to about half of its price. A seac guru on spamazon is still a better deal, even though they're out of $200 white ones.

...budget just seems to get tighter and tighter each day.

The other console computer w/ digital compass is the Cobalt. If your mission is to take care of the budget, pairing a Cobalt with e.g. EON Steel will accomplish that nicely. :wink:

I picked up a new Sherwood Vision with 2D digital compass for $300 from LeisurePro. The price is still that, but only for today, however it sounds to be phased out, so will likely be discounted until they sell out.

Scuba.com has a used Aeris A300 AI for $300. The Aeris has a 3D digital compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom