Mares puck pro 2 vs 3 console...worth it for the compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PTscubapirate

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I like the idea of redundant systems and plan on having a wrist computer and a console. I've been looking at the Mares puck pro 2 and 3 consoles as a simple yet effective system, but the problem I'm having is that they are basically the same price and in fact more often than not, the 3 is cheaper than the 2. The only difference I've found is that the 3 has a compass on the top and so my major question to you all is this: Do I want the compass on top? I'm more inclined to say no because I'd like a more streamlined console and the 3 looks a bit bulky; however I've only ever used a standalone compass so I'm not sure if the setup of the 3 is actually more convenient and better/easier, etc.

what do you all think?

Why do you have to get a console? I run two wrist computers. Perdix AI on right wrist and backup Geo on chest D ring. My compass goes on the back of my hand (bungee mount). SPG, too.

need to buy a pressure gauge anyways, like the idea of having a computer attached when I glance at my pressure...I also like the idea of a wrist computer that has a digital compass (like the shearwater perdix or teric) and a retractable compass on my BCD...like I said, redundant systems (I'm a former fireman so safety makes me happy). But if the console 3's attached compass is a better setup then I'd consider it over the retractable.

There are certain things that are on my "junk gear" list, never to be purchased. Things like split fins, snorkels, console based computers, air-2 etc. They look so flashy and cool when they are on display but they are total crap when you are in the water with them.One thing to consider: Wrist based computer is easy to monitor when you are doing an unassisted safety stop. You are in perfect trim, your left hand is free to manage the BCD inflation and your computer is on your right wrist while the same right hand is also free for anything else that may need it. Your configuration should increase the number of limbs available to do tasks in the water.

The moment dive computer goes on a console, unassisted safety stop starts to turn into a circus. If you are holding it in front of your face then the hand that should be managing buoyancy is committed to managing the computer. If it is hooked somewhere, like your waist d-ring then you have to bend to look at it and your trim is out.

Best way to manage this IMO is two wrist computers on bungee. One on the wrist the other in a pocket or clipped where it is serving as a back-up, only to be pulled out when needed.

There are certain things that are on my "junk gear" list, never to be purchased. Things like split fins, snorkels, console based computers, air-2 etc. They look so flashy and cool when they are on display but they are total crap when you are in the water with them.One thing to consider: Wrist based computer is easy to monitor when you are doing an unassisted safety stop. You are in perfect trim, your left hand is free to manage the BCD inflation and your computer is on your right wrist while the same right hand is also free for anything else that may need it. Your configuration should increase the number of limbs available to do tasks in the water.

The moment dive computer goes on a console, unassisted safety stop starts to turn into a circus. If you are holding it in front of your face then the hand that should be managing buoyancy is committed to managing the computer. If it is hooked somewhere, like your waist d-ring then you have to bend to look at it and your trim is out.

Best way to manage this IMO is two wrist computers on bungee. One on the wrist the other in a pocket or clipped where it is serving as a back-up, only to be pulled out when needed.

hence the redundant system and having a wrist based computer as well. and if it's not your cup of tea, that's cool, i appreciate the insight. but i'm looking for more help on the integrated compass portion.

I like the idea of redundant systems and plan on having a wrist computer and a console. I've been looking at the Mares puck pro 2 and 3 consoles as a simple yet effective system, but the problem I'm having is that they are basically the same price and in fact more often than not, the 3 is cheaper than the 2. The only difference I've found is that the 3 has a compass on the top and so my major question to you all is this: Do I want the compass on top? I'm more inclined to say no because I'd like a more streamlined console and the 3 looks a bit bulky; however I've only ever used a standalone compass so I'm not sure if the setup of the 3 is actually more convenient and better/easier, etc.

what do you all think?
I think your assessment is right on. Three gauges in a row would be bulky. I'd look for something that had the compass on the back side.

hence the redundant system and having a wrist based computer as well. and if it's not your cup of tea, that's cool, i appreciate the insight. but i'm looking for more help on the integrated compass portion.

I'm told if you actually need a compass, you want one on a slate. If you just want it for the sake of having it, why not.

I'm told if you actually need a compass, you want one on a slate. If you just want it for the sake of having it, why not.
I use my compass on nearly every dive, no slate. Everyone dives differently, but when we work an area we'll often drop a couple guys on different spots on the ledge. For example, if it's a North/South ledge, drop one on either side and we'll give each a heading to meet in the middle. If there's a good current, sometimes we'll get blown off into the sand, but since we know the direction the ledge was running and whether we were dropped on the topside or bottom, plus the compass heading of the current, we can work ourselves back to the ledge without having to surface and ask for assistance from our boat.

I use my compass on nearly every dive, no slate.

Do you use one in the 3-instrument console? The one on other side, BTW, is not much better, or at least one or three rental ones I had weren't: it's still bulkier than I like and still awkward to hold. Miflex hose would probably help, if you intend to actually use it. Where we dive I don't need mine at all so it lives in my pocket -- or on my wife's wrist, when she feels like practicing navigation.

Thread demonstrates how the same thing can be done in different ways.
For me:
  1. SPG on left hip D-ring
  2. Wrist computer on right wrist
  3. Compass on left wrist
  4. Spare computer in pocket and tied down (snap bolt) so its not lost.
Works well for me. We each have our own way. Do what works for you but make sure its efficient and causes no harm.

Back
Top Bottom