Mares Proton Ice vs. Aqua Lung Legend Series

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gabs

New
Reaction score
I am new to the world of SCUBA and am having a very hard time deciding which regulator to go with. At first I thought it would definitely be Mares or Aqua Lung, specifically the Proton Ice and the Legend LX, but now I am considering Zeagle or Apeks. Any thoughts??? I could really use a more experienced opinion.:confused:

go with the Aqualung Legend LX Supreme. Auqalungs are simple to work on and parts can be had all over the world, should something go wrong or just need servicing. Plus, they are just plain reliable and breath like a dream.

I have 3 LX's they are sweet. I would go with just the Legend. The LX comes with the other adjustment knob that I believe controlls the cracking pressure. I've never needed to touch that knob and when I've played with it I couldnt tell a difference. The supreme just has a different mouth peice and is silver instead of gold. You'll be sorry if you buy the proton. The Legend series was designed by Apeks so if you go with a Apeks or the Legend you can't go wrong.

Some other factors you'll want to take into account are...
Will you be diving in cold or warm water.. I take it from your post that you would be cold water but just to make sure.
Will you be doing any Nitrox diving? I am pretty sure the regs you picked do take Nitrox without any further mods, but again just so that you are aware.
Lastly, the best thing is to see if you can try them out at your LDS. Some will let you rent them on your next dive so that you can see how they perform in the conditions you dive it.
I have an AquaLung Titan and I like it, and I have heard good things about Apeks, although haven't tried one yet.
I don't know if this will help but did you check Rodales site to see what they say about the models you are interested in? They may mention a feature or a detriment that may sway your decision...

cnidae once bubbled...
I have 3 LX's they are sweet. I would go with just the Legend. The LX comes with the other adjustment knob that I believe controlls the cracking pressure. I've never needed to touch that knob and when I've played with it I couldnt tell a difference. The supreme just has a different mouth peice and is silver instead of gold. You'll be sorry if you buy the proton. The Legend series was designed by Apeks so if you go with a Apeks or the Legend you can't go wrong.
For the entire Legend line, the regs that are "supreme" are the cold water versions.
They are all EAN 40% O2.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I really apreciate it.

If I were to be diving in warm water as well as cold, any of the cold water regs would be more the sufficient right??

I had a Scubapro MK25/S550 I didnt like the way it changed breathing in different positions. I took it to my dive shop he adjusted it same thing. I had a friend try it same thing. I called Scubapro they basically told me i was nuts that it was the best breather on the market. I bought a Legend LX at another LDS and it breaths way better than the MK25/S550. I see just about no diffence in horizontal to vertical. The adjustment knob allows me to make the breathing even easier if I want as the air pressure goes down. I strongly recommend the AquaLung to anyone the ScubaPro is now my backup......fireguy

Yes, a high quality cold water reg will be more than sufficient for recreational warm water diving.

Happy shopping.

DocVikingo

cnidae wrongly bubbled...
...The supreme just has a different mouth peice and is silver instead of gold...

Actually the key difference between the Supreme and the standard Legend (LX) is that the 1st stage is environmentally sealed. This makes it suited for cold water diving.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

ScubaRon once bubbled...

Actually the key difference between the Supreme and the standard Legend (LX) is that the 1st stage is environmentally sealed. This makes it suited for cold water diving.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Yes, that and the metal ring on the face of the reg versus the plastic one on the Legend. Someone I know lost that ring - $60 to replace it.

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom