Mares MR12 Cold water kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have a Mares MR12 Rover 1st stage and 2nd stage. It doesn't have a cold water kit on it, since I've not dove in water temp lower than 55F. I spoke to my LSD who sold it to me and said that I need a Cold kit if I wanted to dive in water colder than 50F.

I went to another LDS who speciallized in Mares and he took a look at it and said that I did not need a cold kit on it unless I would dive in sewer water conditions. So my buddy and I were thinking of doing a quick dive this weekend and the water is at 38-40 F. Do I need a cold kit to prevent a free flow, or because of the design of the MR12 with the piston it will not freeflow or the chances are low.

I read online other post and some folks dove with the same reg in 4 C water and never had any issues.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hi,

I have a Mares MR12 Rover 1st stage and 2nd stage. It doesn't have a cold water kit on it, since I've not dove in water temp lower than 55F. I spoke to my LSD who sold it to me and said that I need a Cold kit if I wanted to dive in water colder than 50F.

I went to another LDS who speciallized in Mares and he took a look at it and said that I did not need a cold kit on it unless I would dive in sewer water conditions. So my buddy and I were thinking of doing a quick dive this weekend and the water is at 38-40 F. Do I need a cold kit to prevent a free flow, or because of the design of the MR12 with the piston it will not freeflow or the chances are low.

I read online other post and some folks dove with the same reg in 4 C water and never had any issues.

Thanks in advance for your feedback .

The LDS you got it from speaks the truth- As you can see from the attached picture MARES reccomends a cold water kit below 47 degrees.

I am going to assume your regulator has an MR12 (balanced diaphragm) 1st stage and a rover 2nd stage because no cold water kit exists for the R2 rover 1st stage (unbalanced piston).

...or because of the design of the MR12 with the piston it will not freeflow...

The MR12 is not a piston regulator

Attachments

• col water kit.jpg
    col water kit.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 443
My bad, you are correct it is a (balanced diaphragm) as you mentioned. I went back to the manual. Now I'm simply deciding if I spend the money on a CWK or spend more and go for the Abyss 22 which is for cold water. No matter what more money.... :D

Thanks for your comments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom