Mares M2 or Puck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for input on the Mares M2 Dive Computer. Also the Mares Puck wrist worn. Thanks and be honest.:idk:

Not sure about the Mares M2 and it looks like it has been discontinued. However, I used the Puck for a couple years and really liked it. My wife still prefers hers. It is really easy to use, easy to read, both of ours held up under a lot of bumps, backlit, comes with a screen protector, Nitrox/EAN support and can be found relatively cheaply from time to time.

Friend liked mine so much he traded his Hollis for mine and we sold his Hollis.

M2 is discontinued but you may find some out there. I had 1 for a year. Good basic computer. Display is small and not great for older eyes . Bottons were very hard to push. I really liked the fact that it used AAA batteries which you could find anywhere.

It died under warranty and Mares couldn't fix it so they gave me a Puck. (great customer service)

A much nicer computer. Larger display, nitrox, user replaceable batteries. Single button is easy to use. The only issue I have is in log book, if you pass the entry you want, it can take a long time to cycle back thur.

Both would be good basic recreational computers but I would take a Puck over the M2.

I would get neither. Buy a Suunto Gekko/Vyper a with DSS bungee mount. They can be had on Ebay in excellent condition for ~$160. The download USB cable is also about $50. I've never used the Puck but had an M2 for 6 months which I absolutely hated. It was just too big, uncomfortable, and buttons were a PITA to push.

my $.02

Used a Vyper for a week too. Nice computer, maybe slightly larger display than the Puck. More buttons made for slightly easier programing. $160 is a good deal for a Vyper but you won't have any warranty, if that's important to you.

I use the Puck and have for several years. I wear it on the wrist via a bungee setup. The Puck is easy to operate both above and below the water. It supports up to nitrox 50 and has a gauge mode.

The only thing that should be noted about the Puck is that the computer is ultra conservative with regard to NDL.

Quick note the Puck can be converted to bungee setup without having to buy a bungee mount.

puckbungee.jpg

I don't remember but it isn't the thinnest of my bungee cord. You can get a decent reference size by looking at the battery coin slot on the back. The bungee is just a bit bigger than it.

The method I used was to start the pin first and leave an opening for the bungee to be inserted. I then put the bungee in place, pushed on the bungee to flatten it out with a blunted wooden toothpick and finished sliding the pin over the bungee. Once you get the pin started going over the top the pin will just slide into place. You may be able to do the same thing a bit easier with an extra set of hands.

These straps have held on two computers for well over two years now so once you get it in there it will likely stay. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom