Mares Isotherm alteration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mlody11

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey, I just bought a used mares isotherm and its a nice suit and looks like its very warm. it is a little tight on me now, but after I loose some 20lbs (trust me I will :p) most of my body should be ok. If I put the suit in now, the arms and legs are snug but I can still move them rather comfortably. The hood is what worries me a little, the hood is an attached hood (obviously an older model) and is a bit tight. It isnt squeezing me alot but it is a little excesive. Is there a away to alter the suit, i.e. take it to a wetsuit taylor and have him adjust it a bit. The large would be too big for me. I guess I have a big head... :p

Mlody11:
Hey, I just bought a used mares isotherm and its a nice suit and looks like its very warm. it is a little tight on me now, but after I loose some 20lbs (trust me I will :p) most of my body should be ok. If I put the suit in now, the arms and legs are snug but I can still move them rather comfortably. The hood is what worries me a little, the hood is an attached hood (obviously an older model) and is a bit tight. It isnt squeezing me alot but it is a little excesive. Is there a away to alter the suit, i.e. take it to a wetsuit taylor and have him adjust it a bit. The large would be too big for me. I guess I have a big head... :p

There is the old trick iof putting it on a soft basket-ball and pumping it up at your own risk and leaving it for a day or week. If you have that sort of neoprene talent nearby then an alteration would be the best way to go.

The DIY road is not that tough either if you're so inclined. Getting a piece of neoprene is the biiggest trick. Gluing and blind hand stiching isn't that hard.

Have you dove it?
Tight neck = big risk
Tight at jaw = not lethal but may be uncomfortable and mess up your jaw
Tight on skull = May surprise you wet.

Pete

I think Pete pretty much gave you the options. I just sent my Isotherm in a couple of weeks ago for major alterations, I usedSuperior
It says that they do drysuits but they will do a wet suit as well, & semis. I can let you know how it turned out when I get it back, shortly I hope. Drop me a PM.

I have not dove it yet. I have not even wet the suit yet. Do you think the neoprene will give enough when it gets wet? I can get the hood on its just tight by the jaw and snug ont he top of my head. The neck is not an issue. Thanks for the reply

You might end up with a head ache.
Depending upon how tight it is you might be alright but I don't think getting it wet is going to make a big difference.

Mlody11:
I have not dove it yet. I have not even wet the suit yet. Do you think the neoprene will give enough when it gets wet? I can get the hood on its just tight by the jaw and snug ont he top of my head. The neck is not an issue. Thanks for the reply

It won't give any more when wet but it may conform a little better and equalize any stress. Don't expect a huge change. Also when trying to decide assume the relative head posture that you dive. All in all it's marginal at best. You might end up with TMJ.

Pete

I didnt think it would give... wasn't sure though. I end up with a headache after having it on for 5 minutes, bah. Looks like I will have to get it altered, I hope its possible. Thanks for the info. If anyone has had experience with altering a hood/suit, were you happy with the outcome?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom