Mares HUB and aircraft....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wytch

Reaction score
This question has probably been asked before but I can't find a thread.
I have recently bought a second hand Mares HUB Avantgarde and am flying to Thailand in 6 weeks - don't gasp, they need our support more than ever right now.
My question is.....since the HUB is a big old bit of kit, I can't have it as hand luggage in the cabin. Since the regs are attached to the BC, can I be sure the pressure in the cargo hold won't upset the reg set up? Or can the regs be removed from the HUB (cos I can't see how!)
Any advice/suggestions/reassurance would be delightful, cheers!

Just carry your dive computer (if you have one) with you in the cabin and you should be fine - this is to prevent theft or your computer being accidentally switched on during the flight. Your reg might get knocked around a bit by the baggage handlers or from shifting/weights from other bags but they shouldn’t be affected by being in the cargo hold.

wytch:
I have recently bought a second hand Mares HUB Avantgarde and am flying to Thailand in 6 weeks - don't gasp, they need our support more than ever right now.

Actually, I think the gasp you heard was from when other people read that you bought a HUB at all :wink:

I suggest you wear it, that way you wont get charged excess baggage.

When you get on the plane, just take it off and ask a steward to hang up your "coat"

LOL Mark.

I think you should put a big sign that says "EXPENSIVE DIVE GEAR - KEEP AN EYE ON THIS ONE - DO NOT STEAL ME!" on it and hope for the best *cough*

Folks,

I need to post this as a sticky note.

The pressure in the cargo hold is the same as that inside all of the hull. It is the same air that you are breathing. It is cooler, usually, down there, but not in the freezing range.

Trust me on this one, kids! It is true!

Rob Davie
Pilot / Continental Airlines

cancun mark:
I suggest you wear it, that way you wont get charged excess baggage.

When you get on the plane, just take it off and ask a steward to hang up your "coat"

but

I don't think that this post and your signature go together.

Oh dear! I must admit I hadn't realised how badly the HUB was looked upon!!!!
Thanks for all the advice, it's good to know the regs won't have problems in the hold, even if the HUB isn't a popular choice! Cheers :)

Wytch, dive it and make up your own mind,

there are those here that it is an over engineered piece of junk that came out of the hyperactive mind of an Italian fashion designer, and those that have dived it and say it is great.

I personally probably fall into the former group, but dont let that discourage you.

Just a question though.. Why was the first owner selling it??

cancun mark:
Wytch, dive it and make up your own mind,

there are those here that it is an over engineered piece of junk that came out of the hyperactive mind of an Italian fashion designer, and those that have dived it and say it is great.

I personally probably fall into the former group, but dont let that discourage you.

Just a question though.. Why was the first owner selling it??
He's going backpacking around the world, the lucky devil.....he's an ex-Mares technician and is an instructor too, he reckons he loved it and was sorry to see it go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom