Mares Fusion 52x

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jumppilot

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anyone dive this reg? I haven't found many reviews online but am curious if it is a real step up from the Abyss.

Thank you.

never said you did. They make a great regulator. All I was suggesting that if I were spending that much on a reg set, $150 more gets you a full setup from Apeks that has an extra second stage, all the requisite hoses, SPG, and a yoke adapter, and is every bit as good. If you want to stay with Mares then go for it, I just think they're a bit overpriced for what they are....

Anyone dive this reg? I haven't found many reviews online but am curious if it is a real step up from the Abyss.

I agree with Tbone that it is doubtful that the Fusion 52x is significantly better than an Abyss 52. The first stages are the same and the second stages seem to use the same mechanism with only cosmetic differences. Mares does publish work of breathing on their website. As a rule of thumb in scuba, the middle of the product line usually provides the best value.

---------- Post added May 28th, 2015 at 06:24 PM ----------

It is $720 on Leisurepro currently,

Leisurepro shows a price of $550 for me. Maybe they hate you. lol

probably.... I buy too many things straight from the manufacturers at dealer cost...

That's my situation. I'd be able to get a smoking deal on this from my LDS, which uses Mares almost exclusively. Since I'm working for them it was suggested (not required) I buy Mares. Since it's time to upgrade from my 20 year old kit I figured I'd get their top of the line.

Probably not your dealer cost but $360 is a right price for me!

yours is probably cost+10 which is standard for key man instead of cost+100 which is standard.

If you're working for a Mares dealer than you should probably stick with them and like every recommendation that most of us make, we are assuming people are actually paying published pricing. If you have a reason to stay with a brand for whatever reason then it changes the whole discussion.

I'm not terribly familiar with Mares, but quick glance at the site, I'd grab the Abyss 22 Navy II since it is a sealed design first stage, then get the Fusion second stage as your primary with abyss as secondary.

yours is probably cost+10 which is standard for key man instead of cost+100 which is standard.

If you're working for a Mares dealer than you should probably stick with them and like every recommendation that most of us make, we are assuming people are actually paying published pricing. If you have a reason to stay with a brand for whatever reason then it changes the whole discussion.

I'm not terribly familiar with Mares, but quick glance at the site, I'd grab the Abyss 22 Navy II since it is a sealed design first stage, then get the Fusion second stage as your primary with abyss as secondary.

Thank you you for all your help! I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom