Mares Fins - Raptor vs Volo Power vs Quattro Excel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

niu_roadkill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Folks,

Looking for some opinions on these Mars fins. I have a pair of Mares Quattro Excel fins, but am not certain they are for me after the last trip to Cozumel. No serious complaint, and maybe it would just take getting used to, but they didn't seem like the most efficient fins to me. Looking into a couple of other options from Mares. Either the new Raptors or the Volo Power. Any suggestions, opinions, or reviews would be appreciated. Need to get some new fins before April. And btw, I'm okay with split fins. I learned to dive using ScubaPro Twin Jets. Thanks in advance.

Wade

Very impressed with the Raptors – got all the advantages of a Mares paddle fin but the ease of use of a split fin. You can frogkick in them, back up in them and they give plenty of power, even into a current because of the stiffness.

Mares made these reluctantly to get a slice of pie when it comes to split fins in the US, but they have ended up producing one of the best split fins out there.

Mark

I owned the mares Volo (not power) and the buckle button broke off after 100 dives.

I have the Volo Powers and am happy with them. But they definetly aren't the most powerfull fin out there. They are very comfortable though and are plenty powerfull for my diving needs. Are they going to be more efficient or powerfull than the avanti??? I think the only real way to tell is for you to try them on in a pool and see what you prefer!:coffee:

I have not used the raptors, but I have used the Volo power, the avanti Q excel, and I personally own a set of Volo races. The Volo is a pretty soft fin; right now I exclusively dive in the Caribbean in places that rarely have a strong current and even I think they're almost too soft (any time I anticipate diving with any current I use my Cressi Gara 3000 LDs). My roommate has the Volo powers and after swapping fins, we both agree that the Volo power may even a be a little softer than the race. I started diving with the open heel Quattros and found them to be too stiff for my diving needs so opted for the Volo and sure enough my air consumption plummeted. The downsides are that they that really don't provide much thrust at all with a frog kick and swimming against a current can be a real chore. I guess it really depends on the kind of diving you're doing. Do you only dive in warmer water? If so, have you considered full foot fins? They are generally always more efficient than their open heel counter parts.

How would the Volo Power compare to say, Bio Fins and Atomic Splits?

Sorry...did not mean to hijack the post :)

Thanks for the comments. Sounds like the Raptors are the way to go. I do use the fins in cold water diving. Gotta hate those midwestern quarry dives used for training. Ugh. In any it sounds like the Volo Powers may be a bit too flexible for my taste. I've never had real problems with split fins in currents. And for me, I really like the Mares buckle system. I've never used spring straps but with the mares buckles, I don't see a need. Anyways thanks to all for the opinions.

Funny never saw a healthy fish with split fins! Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me! In physics every action has an equal and opposite reaction! Read it again slowly:wink: So if you remove surface by splitting the fin you loss efficiency in mechanical motion! Ask a marine Architect or Engineer about the mechanics. I have a magic bean and it will grow a stalk to the sky! Just send 179.95 to PO Box G8HOAX Illusion USA! :D

I have dove Mares Quattro's for years both wet and dry and sport and technical....great 'all purpose' fin. OP--I would give yours a bit more time and usage before buying a new pair. I have never been a real fan of split fins but folks swear by them. I also like OMS Slipstreams for diving. :)

The only piece of gear still remaining from my original equipment purchases 10 years ago is a pair of Mares Quattro fins...what was so inefficient about them? What type of kicking do you do?

Cheers.

-J.-

Back
Top Bottom