Mares Avanti Quattro Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hongrace

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anyone who have tried or used the Mares Avanti Quattro both open heel and full foot versions?

The full foot version is significantly longer than the OH. I am wondering how do they perform differently.

I didn't notice that they were longer, are you sure you are comparing the same sizes?

N

Though they have the same blade design, the full foot version has to include the heel in the design. The full foots are great for warm water and boat diving. Open heels are more flexible with boots for shore entry.

Warm water boat dive? Definitely the full foots. A good fit will result in greater comfort and transmit power from your foot so much more efficiently.

What Mares sells nowadays (2010) is called Avanti Quattro (open heel) and Avanti Quattro Power (full foot) and these are different fins.

Yes the Quattro Power (full foot) is longer (its blade is almost 3 inches longer).

The Quattro (open heel) is normally a bit stiffer while the Quattro Power (full foot) feels more akin a free diving fin while still giving a lot of thrust (even more so than the Quattro). The Quattro Power is rather for flutter- and scissor-kicks, while the Quattro is more versatile.

There may be some variations in stiffness with the Quattro because production has been done in Eastern Europe for a while (but not anymore if I am not wrong) and these "oriental" versions (at least those I have seen) seem to be softer.

yes, this is what I meant. The Mares Quattro Power Full Foot. I didn't know there was an earlier version of Quattro Full Foot which was different to the 2010 Quattro Power FF.

If you are looking for a "standard" length full-foot fin, the Mares Superchannel is very similar to the Quattro. I have the Superchannel in full-foot and the Quattro in open-heel .... they perform similarly but I prefer the Superchannel because it is lighter .... MUCH lighter .... and I'm not even considering the weight of booties. I seldom use any open-heel fin ... but I primarily dive warm water.

Back
Top Bottom