Mares Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadmoon

Registered
Reaction score
Does the Abyss work well in waters in a temperature range of between 38°F - 64°F?

I dive in lakes and rivers!

I use a semi-dry suit (Mares Isotherm T)

I wanted to add an octopus but a lot of people suggest I should use two seperate 1st stages.

What do you suggest?

My budget is a little bit limited. And I was told by the guy at the store that the Abyss works well in cold waters.

But if I buy an octopus (Axis) will it free-flow in these waters?

Thank you for now...

Is it ok maybe to star out with an octopus and then upgrade later with two seperate 1st stages?

What do you suggest?

Deadmoon
the abyss works fine of the south coast of England, I use mine alot. However, ask your dealer to de-tune it a bit, as they do seem to be set for the Med (They are Italian after all!) I'm a bit concerned about the 'octo' question, as no diver should use 2 octopuses instead of a primary 1st stage + octopus. Remember, it's your life in your hands & you're a long time dead.
Regards
Jon
safe diving!

In Texas now... but grew up in Wisconsin... and I have too many cold dives on the Abyss... The only thing I would do to the abyss is switch out the flat poppet seat for the spherical one. Doesn't matter if you going cold or not - that just greatly increases the dependability of the seat... the spherical ones just don't die...

I agree with Larry regarding switching the HP assembly over to the SCS (Spherical Core Seal), as it is a more robust design.

I have made more than 300 cold water dives using Mares regulators. In fact, I just made 3 this past Sunday with water temps at a balmy 37 degrees. NOT once have I ever had a free flow problem.

The Axis second stage should work fine as an AAS, but I suggest removing the hose protector from the second stage. The water flow over the valve assembly/hose connection can aid with heating the cold, expanding gas. A second stage can freeze, but in the majority of cases it is the first stage that is the culprit. Many divers believe that because the second stage is free flowing that it is the cause of the problem. The second stage will free flow to relieve the pressure initiated by a frozen first stage. The Axis second stage housing has a very slick internal surface along with a teflon coated lever. Both of these features help somewhat with the reduction of ice formation. I also NEVER breathe from a second stage in frigid air temps until the unit is submerged. Condensation from your exhalations can lead to icing in a matter of seconds.

Greg

You guys are just great thank you very much for your advice!

Anyways I'm from Southern part of Switzerland (the so called italian part) and if you guys ever pass from here :11: you can visit this really nice site!

Search "verzasca" in google.com (pictures) it will show you many pictures of the sites here around these rivers: temperature of 3°C in winter time, I went there two weeks ago and it was at 7°C at -2m (I was just "free-diving" that day). During the summer the air temperature gets at about 35°C and that river gets at a maximum of 15°C.
It's a great site, instead of going always in tropical sites.

Well, let's come back at the original discussion, I asked a class-mate, he's got the Abyss as well and two 1st stages, he told me that he used an octopus at the beginning of his diving "career" for two years. I guess I'll purchase this type of configuration and wait until I've got some more money to get another 1st stage. I'm a student tought.

Do you know something about the BC Vest Mares Pegasus?

I had some people making some critics on it just because it is out of production... But when at the store I tried it on, it had a really great feeling! I mean, really great, just like putting your back on a sofa...

The abyss would work fine in the waters that you are going to be diving in. It is certified for cold water diving. I dont see any reason that you would need to purchase 2 1st stages. You can only attach one to a tank at a time. Like greg said usually it is not your 2nd stage that freezes so you should be fine with a axis octo.

As far as the BC it is all personal preference. If the BC fits you, feels good, and has all the features (such as integrated weights, back or jacket inflation) that you want then I would suggest you buy it. I have a friend that swears by his pegasus, it is all just personal preference.

Thanks again, now you've convinced me!

Charleston SC? Wow, my brother went there at the College of Charleston to study. I used to live in Greenville when I was little. Nice place! Since '88 I'm in the middle of Europe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom