Mares Abyss 42 or Zeagle Envoy Deluxe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdault

New
Reaction score
Hi,

Which one of these 2 reg do you recommend:

- Mares Abyss 42
- Zeagle Envoy Deluxe

I can get any of these at arround the same price.
I am a recreationnal diver. Most of the time I dive in warm water but sometime I dive in cold water (below 50F). This is why I am looking for a sealed one.
Both can be services at my LDS, so this is not a factor.

I read that zeagle provide free part replacement under warranty which is not the case for mares.

I read that Envoy can sometime be hard breathing when your upside down. Same behavior with the Abyss ?

Any pro and cons will be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think either of these come standard with an environmental seal.
However they are both diaphragm 1st stages and can handle water temps in the 40's without a second diaphragm.
The Zeagle has a balanced 2nd stage but the Mares is all metal and has their by-pass tube.......pick the one that rings your bell, as performance wise there's going to be little difference between them.

Last edited:
Hi,

I read that zeagle provide free part replacement under warranty which is not the case for mares.

I read that Envoy can sometime be hard breathing when your upside down.

My wife and I have used our Zeagle Envoy Deluxe regs for about 8 years and 300+ warm water dives each with the only problem being a small hole in the diaphram on my wife's reg which resulted in it breathing wet.

The repair kits are free as long as you service the regs each year.

I've never noticed them breathing hard when upside down.

I recommend this reg.

Hi,
I read that Envoy can sometime be hard breathing when your upside down. Same behavior with the Abyss ?

That goes for any regulator. Air flows upward not downward. I can't comment on the Zeagle Envoy as I have never used that regulator. However, the Mares 42 is compact, breathes easily and very smoothly. I have taken it down to the limit of recreational diving. If you plan on traveling, you'll love the Abyss' compact size and light weight.

The water in Monterey, California dips into the mid to high 40s at its coldest. I have used quite a few regulators from various brands (Mares, Oceanic, Sherwood, US Divers, Scuba Pro, Atomic Aquatics) and never had any freeze on me. You should try them both to see how they breathe. Don't forget about ergonomics and check out the layout of the first stage to see if you like the hose routing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom