Mares abyss 22 or Scubapro s600 / also what do people think of the scubapro Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adaminhongkong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys I'm looking to buy my first BCD and Reg... I will do all my diving travelling around sth est asia diving challenging sites so I want to have good kit.... In a few years I'm looking to do instructor etc so will be using it every day there too.

I was going to get the scubapro mk25 s600 which all my mates recommend but...... its freaking expensive.... !!!
Most of the stuff I've read online ppl say the mares abyss 22 is just as good smaller and half the price....

Do ppl agree......?

Also as I want to have a travel setup and I was thinking to save space getting the Scubapro GO BCD with the air2 alternate air course connected to my inflator to save having to carry an octopus with me ect when traveling. The guy I talked to at a popular dive shop in Hong Kong where I live said he could get it done way cheap at the scubapro factory for only around 100US instead of putting it on once the bcd is in the shop etc for more than

What do ppl think of these type of set ups with an alternate air scourse on your inflator hose..... GOOD OR BAD?

Any suggestions would be great guys!

Adam

Hey guys I'm looking to buy my first BCD and Reg... I will do all my diving travelling around sth est asia diving challenging sites so I want to have good kit.... In a few years I'm looking to do instructor etc so will be using it every day there too.

I was going to get the scubapro mk25 s600 which all my mates recommend but...... its freaking expensive.... !!!
Most of the stuff I've read online ppl say the mares abyss 22 is just as good smaller and half the price....

Do ppl agree......?

Also as I want to have a travel setup and I was thinking to save space getting the Scubapro GO BCD with the air2 alternate air course connected to my inflator to save having to carry an octopus with me ect when traveling. The guy I talked to at a popular dive shop in Hong Kong where I live said he could get it done way cheap at the scubapro factory for only around 100US instead of putting it on once the bcd is in the shop etc for more than

What do ppl think of these type of set ups with an alternate air scourse on your inflator hose..... GOOD OR BAD?

Any suggestions would be great guys!

Adam

It depends on what your idea of challenging sites is. Drift dive, deep, wreck?

Most regs and bcds are designed for a lot of different conditions its only when you go tech that you'll need something else.
For bcds comfort, lift, features in that order. For regs, its ease of breathing, serviceability.

I'm curious what gear do you have access to in HK and what school do you plan to become an instructor in?

For reliability between extended service intervals I'd recommend a diaphragm 1st stage (like the mares).....nothing wrong with piston regs but by design there's a couple of o rings exposed to the elements that are usually the limiting factor for how often it needs servicing.
The Abyss may well be less expensive but it certainly isn't smaller or less weight.
Biggest deciding factor for me would be local access to parts and service.
Best buys tend to be from the middle of a manufactures range.
....others to look at would be models from Apeks, Zeagle, AquaLung or HOG.

.....don't go for an Air 2, especially if you decide you want to become a DM or Instructor.

Of the choices you've given, I'd go with the Abyss. Personally, I stay away from anything Scubapro and prefer an Apeks with an Octopus 2nd.

Most Air 2's including the Scubapro breathe poorly. The only exception to this is the Atomic SS1 Air 2. The breathing characteristics of an Air 2 are important as that is what you'll be using if you assist another diver in an out of air situation. You give them your primary and breath off of the air 2. The type of BCD you use an Air 2 with is also important as you still have to be able to dump air on your ascent while you are still breathing.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with using an Air 2 if you are an instructor, as long as you also have an octo. If you have both the Air 2 and an octo, you can demonstrate out of air situations for both. A lot of people purchase Air 2s and don't know how to use them.

One other comment on high end 2nd stage regulators. Make sure you purchase one with a one piece all metal air tube not one that is part plastic and part metal like on some of the Scubapros. I have seen the plastic part of the air tube cracked where the metal part threads into it.

I like the alternate on the bcd. Keep it streamlined really really nice. I like the Atomic SS1 because you can use it on any BCD, so if you ever change BCDs the SS1 can go along with it.

Link to the SS1
Atomic Aquatics SS1, Stainless, Safe Second RegulatorsMasks, Fins, BCD's, Regulators, Computers, Flash Lights, Cases, Boxes, Wet Suits, Dry Suits, Log Books, Cameras, Defog, Slap Straps, DPV, Snorkles, Tanks, Cylinders, Watches, Knives, Hats, Sticker

My main reg is an Mk25 w. an S600. I really like it. But I also really liked every other reg I've tried. I guess I'm not picky. But if I lost my ScubaPro reg set I wouldn't shell out the price for a new one. I'd just get a "lesser known" set and keep the money in my pocket.

As far as the AIR2 is concerned, I use one of those as well. I got into a semi-emergency situation on a night dive and realized that having your head cocked and locked in one place is a horrible place to be in those situations (the hoses make this a very uncomfortable reg to use. And dangerous if you ask me.). I immediately put a 6 foot hose as my primary and installed an octo with a necklace. Now the AIR2 is my third option. Really its just a very solid power inflator. I could lose my AIR2 as well and not lose any sleep.

You can get what ever you want here in HK..... Apparently it's one of the cheapest places to get gear. The first off price from one shop for an mk25 s600 scubapro reg was 500 us..... Haven't seen it that cheap most places... I'm looking to dive all of sth east Asia and do DM and inst in a few years once my business is running smoothly in HK. :)

---------- Post Merged at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Cheers mate for your opinion!!! I was just planning to have this setup as a travel set up then when I do my DM and inst etc sell in second hand online here in Hong Kong..... But what you said in invaluable
HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE WITH AN AIR 2 SET UP?

---------- Post Merged at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Awesome cheers mate never knew there were universal alternate like you said.... The only reason why I'm thinking down this route is to save space when traveling etc...

DO YOU GUYS THINK I ACTUALLY WILL SAVE SPACE GOING WITH AN ALTERNATE ON MY BC OR IS IT JUST A GIMIK FOR AFTERMARKET STUFF????

Everyones opinions have been really helpful guys cheers!

You can get what ever you want here in HK..... Apparently it's one of the cheapest places to get gear. The first off price from one shop for an mk25 s600 scubapro reg was 500 us..... Haven't seen it that cheap most places... I'm looking to dive all of sth east Asia and do DM and inst in a few years once my business is running smoothly in HK. :)

---------- Post Merged at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Cheers mate for your opinion!!! I was just planning to have this setup as a travel set up then when I do my DM and inst etc sell in second hand online here in Hong Kong..... But what you said in invaluable
HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE WITH AN AIR 2 SET UP?

---------- Post Merged at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Awesome cheers mate never knew there were universal alternate like you said.... The only reason why I'm thinking down this route is to save space when traveling etc...

DO YOU GUYS THINK I ACTUALLY WILL SAVE SPACE GOING WITH AN ALTERNATE ON MY BC OR IS IT JUST A GIMIK FOR AFTERMARKET STUFF????

Everyones opinions have been really helpful guys cheers!

For the inline octo, you might lose some weight but you also gain a few inconveniences. It doesn't breath as well as most standard regs, it isn't really suitable for teaching purposes and unless you are willing to unassemble it from your bcd or else every servicing will require you bring the whole setup along.

If you wanted a affordable, fairly light, easy to service and affordable reg, I would say get a aqualung titan lx reg.

You could save a lot more weight by getting a travel bcd or a softpac like a transpac or zeagle express tech bcd.

Lighter fins would help a lot too. Lastly, not bringing along 1 pair of shoes and you already are ahead in the weight game.

My wife and I replaced our Mares Octos with the Atomic SS1 about a year ago and like the Atomic Octo-Inflator. It breathes easy enough and has always functioned properly. The setup saves a little room and weight in the reg bag since it is attached to the BC but we did it more to streamline our rigs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom