Mares Abyss 22 or 32?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1011ster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone at scubaboard, new member and first time poster!
New in this diving thing, even though I got my Open Water in '98, haven't really touched it till now. Done a few dives and a review and beginning to build my conficence levels back! Unfortunatelly -ehem- I am getting into the I-want-to-buy-everything-and-it-has-to-be-Mares-mode, more or less settled on a Dragon AT jacket and an Abyss regulator, still fighting among an MV, Prestige or Proton octopus (maybe a proton Metal?), but my main question is for the Abyss. Every store I have looked at as well as the Mares website, they talk about the Abyss 22. At the website though, the downloadable manual dscribes it as the Abyss MR32. Is there a difference, a typo or a new product?
Thanks in advance and wish me a warm welcome in the boards ! (hehe)
1011ster:D

Hi there,
Welcome to Scuba Board! This is a great forum for information about all things scuba. We are also glad to hear you are getting back to scuba! Thanks for your interest in Mares products. I am sure which ever Mares products you choose you will be completely satisfied. As to your question re: the Abyss it is definitely the Abyss 22. Here is the link that I have at the Mares website, http://mares.com/product_detail.php?id=235&region=USA. We don't offer the Abyss with a 32 1st stage, must be a typo in the manual (we will look into this). Please feel free to post any specific questions regarding our products and either myself or Phil will be happy to answer. Happy shopping and better yet have fun with your diving.

Best regards,

Zak

Wow!
15 mins exactly for a reply! That's why I want to go all Mares!:)
Thanks Zack for your input, I use the Mares International site link since I live in sunny Greece, but even in the link you sent me, when you click the download button for regs, it gives you 2 manuals,Abyss 05 and Abyss MR32. Getting more confused....:( Am I buing the same product?

Kind regards
1011ster

You are right about the downloads, I think this is new, as I don't recall seeing it previously. In the U.S. we offer only the Abyss 05. This reg has an MR22 1st stage and an Abyss 2nd. It is possible in other countries that Mares offers it with an MR32 1st stage. I will look into it tomorrow.

Mares offers different products and different reg configurations in different countries based on market demands. If you were to purchase this regulator in the U.S. you will certainly get the MR 22 Abyss. Since you are in Greece, it may be possible to purchase it in either configuration. I would clarify this with the place you intend to purchase it, should you have a preference. I hope this helps to answer your question.

Best,

Zak

Absolutely amazed at the speed and quality of your replies!
Thanks for your time, I intend to buy it from www.scubastore.com, I believe they're in Spain, their prices are just unbeatable. If you could check out their Abyss first stage offered, I would be grateful!

Thanks again!:lotsalove:
1011ster

Believe me you will not know the difference between the MR22 and MR32 1st stages. I have two set-up that I dive regularly - both have the 05 2nd stage and Proton Ice Octo - but one has the MR22 1st and the other has the MR32 1st. They both breathe the same.

I use the MR32 for travel, because it is a little lighter, but as far as performance - no difference.

Both are absolutely great breathers. You'll enjoy either one.
And one of the added benefits - no dry mouth because of the all metal 2nd stage.

Thanks TN traveler,
still miss my 4 years stint in Jackson TN, great times!
Appreciate the info, you know how it is, new guy in scuba, bedazzled by all the gadgets out there and trying to figure it out! I for sure want a metal reg, the ones I used in my first dives dried up my mouth something fierce! Used today a rental metal one at my local diving center, some older Mares one, 10 yrs old as they said, and man it worked like a dream!
Thanks again!
1011ster

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom