Marco Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We were supposed to go to Key West in June, but we are restricted to certain dates, for a timeshare. It looks like the dates we must go will not work out for Key West, but we are now considering Marco Island. If someone out there can give me a little info, would sure appreciate it. Where would we need to drive to go diving, and how far away would it be? Thanks all,
Foo

p.s. Simon- I know, here we go again- see my pm to you.

Not too certain about west coast diving, I know that some of the more desirable dive sites are a bit offshore and north. Marco Island sustained some damage, I believe, from all the hurricanes we saw late summer. This is just something to keep in mind, I’m sure everything will be running as usual by summer.

If you’re up to a two-hour drive then you can hop over to the east coast. There are more than enough sites from West Palm to Miami to fill your fancy. Key Largo is an extra hike but if you want to tier your vacation it is a good place to grab some dives.

~BD

Thanks, Boca! Now we're also looking at Hillsboro Beach, at Simon's recommendation. I think it's much closer to good diving, right? Hopefully we'll be able to get the time share for the week we're wanting (June 4-11).

Foo

Actually, there's excellent diving off Marco, but it's 20+ miles off shore and charters are more expensive as a result. Also because of the myth of poor diving, charters don't run every day. Charlie came ashore much farther north, so I don't believe there was much hurricane damage on Marco.

Thanks, Walter! Yah, the more expensive thingie definitely comes into play, especially for my young & proud son in law, who will be diving also. New dad, single-salaried home, since they feel strongly about my daughter staying home with their son. I'm glad to know there is great diving at Marco, in case we do end up going there instead of Hillsboro. Should know something concrete in a day or so. Thanks again!
Foo

We stayed in Cape Coral last year and drove to Ft Lauderdale( about 2 hours) the diving there was great. Also drove to Key largo the diving there was great but the operator we dove with was horrible. Either way you cant go wrong.By the way we are renting the same house this year for 2 weeks and will probably do the same itinerary but with different dive shops in Key largo.

Okay, it's settled, we'll be at Marco Island June 4-11, staying at Angler's Cove. We will be willing to drive to Key Largo or Ft. Lauderdale area, or toward any close springs (none of us are cavern or cave certified, however.)

Walter, I'd welcome any dive op/location info that you might have about that area. Thanks for the heads up.

Any ConchDivers in the area? Anyone wanna get together for any day trip dives in Ft. Laud. or Key Largo during that time period? We are 4 divers, all family, experience levels ranging from 10-60 dives. We all have some salt water experience, most in Cozumel. Thanks!

Foo

No Conchs wanna dive with Swampers? Comeon... don't be skeert. We don't really dive with our spurs on. But our pointed-toe dive boots are really a sight to see.

Have regulators, will travel.

Foo

I enjoy diving with Sunstar Aquatics out of Deerfield Beach. I'm not yet booked for that time, I'd be happy to join you on the weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom