March or June 2012 for Trip to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easter Sunday next year is 8th April, and any time before then will be considered "high season". You might want to consider coming a little later, say mid-April, when prices will drop.

I can't make any recommendation for anyone else, but I have boarded flights in San Pedro for Belize City when I've still been dripping from two dives, and I've had no problems. On that occasion I had been diving nitrox, and at my request the plane didn't go above 800ft. The normal cruising altitude is around 1500ft, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem. But it's up to you to decide - my official recommendation is not to fly at all for 12 hours after even a single dive. Diving nitrox really helps, and being well hydrated before and after the dives is important. If you'll be diving and flying on one particular day, stay off the alcohol the previous evening.

The best base for most inland trips is San Ignacio. Attractive and cheap, well located and tourist-orientated.

It may not be useful to you, but there are now direct flights operated by Tropic Air from San Pedro to Belmopan. Relatively expensive but save many hours.

If you want to go to ATM (good choice) I would think twice about also going to Tikal. To "do" Tikal properly takes several days - you want at least two nights near there - and it's also very costly taking all into account. I would think about staying in San Ignacio and "doing" ATM and some of the Belizean Mayan ruins from there. Right next to San Ignacio are Xunantunich and Cahal Pech, with the first being more impressive and the second more historic. An organised day trip can take you to Caracol, one of the most important of the Mayan cities, and a lovely drive through (Belizean) jungle.

I would also want to do at least a third day of diving.

I'm putting together a trip for my family in March (spring break) - good to hear it's a nice month. I'm also looking at Paradise Villas - would also love to hear any feedback about them.

Ray

We stayed at Paradise Villas last October and would definitely stay there again. One thing about PV is that there are two different management companies for the property. Each company represents different units in the same complex.

The only negative thing I can say about the unit we rented was that the a/c was out the first night and fixed the next day. The big plus's are that you are right on the water (great sunrises), everything in town is within walking distance (buy one of the 20 liter jugs of water from the store to fill your small bottles, four of us went through three of them in a week). The stores run by the Lebanese were much better than those run by the locals.

Thanks for all the good information. I am starting to work up a trip for mid March (spring break). Will probably dive 2 days, transfer to the mainland and to ATM and Tikal. Any other suggestions welcome. Possibly looking at Blue Tang Inn or Paradise Villas for a place to stay. Diving and tours is adding up so looking for clean but lower priced accomodations.

You may check out The Tides Resort, we stayed there in February, and returning in October. They gave me the low season rate of $85, during the high season. It is beachfront, nice size rooms, clean , fridge. There is also a dive shop on site that is great. We loved diving with Patajo. Nice boat, not large groups.

The Tides is either up for sale or already sold.

I believe it was up for sale this past february when we were there. Sabrina is still handling the reservations, I talked to her this week. I do not think it has sold yet

Well I've just directed a group booking for a few months' time elsewhere as they said they wouldn't be able to take it.

I may double check my reservation then. I booked oct 29-nov 4.

I live in San Pedro and have been trying to find out the latest state of Play at The Tides. So far no joy, but when I do find out I'll post it here. The group booking I have now made elsewhere is for the week spanning New Year, for a group who have been to The Tides every New Year for several years. That would be a great trip for you to join if there's a problem with yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom