March or July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maj2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are considering a Florida trip in Either March or July. Wondering if one month is better than the other?
Water temp is not really relevant. That can be handled easily with exposure protection and gear, and will be warmer than the Great Lakes in either option.
Wondering more about vis and water conditions in a general sense.
Planning to go fossil diving out of Venice (something my daughter has wanted to do for a long time), and anything else of interest in the broad Tampa area.
Thanks!

March is better July on the West Coast.

July typically has daily rain from pop up thunderstorms which results in bad vis, while in March vis is typically only impacted by frontal systems (like right now).

July is much better than March on the east coast. March is still the winter season with the risk of high winds and seas.

I vote for July if you're going to SE Florida too. The one good thing about early March is that Lemon sharks might still be gathering. Its pretty cool to dive with them (un-baited).

But if you want to increase the odds of not being blown out. Pick July

Hi @maj2

@sportxlh is right, March is still Lemon Shark season in Jupiter. I had my best shark dive ever with Jupiter Dive Center last march at Lemon Drop. We had as many as 17 Lemon Sharks in view for nearly the entire 45 minute dive. So, if you get out, you may have a fantastic dive.

I'd pick July over March. March is the start of that wiggy time between winter and summer and it may be OK, or most likely though it's windy. July, yeah, you have daily rain storms, but generally the weather is more favorable for diving, and beach diving. July, with storm looming, I am looking at the weather radar for storms popping up, usually by afternoon. Early morning generally seems to be the best time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom