March 24 Bohol pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Still getting use to the new camera. First three are using the internal strobe and #4 is with no strobe and custom white balance. Gotta get me an external strobe.

fish.jpg

nudi.jpg

puffer.jpg

sponge.jpg

Why do underwater photographers never see a good picture that they take themselves! To me, as a photographic snap shot taker using an MX10 film camera these pictures are great!
My wife will not let me have another digital after I drowned 2 of them!
If an external strobe will get you better pictures then I am happy for you and if you then like your own pictures, good for you!

I agree, but the internal strobe does a nice job on the close ups. I like the Nudi.

I agree, but the internal strobe does a nice job on the close ups. I like the Nudi.

Thanks, but the design of the WP-DC28, as well as several other housings, does not allow you to get up close for macro shots using the internal strobe. The resulting photo will be partially dark because part of the internal strobe is blocked by the lens tunnel on the housing.

You have back away from the subject then zoom in on it to allow the internal strobe to evenly light the photo. Then crop the photo in post-processing. Another alternative is to use custom white balance without the strobe and get in right on top of the subject using the macro setting. Downside of that is loss of color.

Bottom line is an external strobe is needed for even lighting to be able to get in very close for the macro shots.

My only problem with that is my current location. The Philippines charges import fees and VAT (value added tax) on imported items. I am trying to find out what exactly are those fees? The VAT is 10% + the import fees which can range between 3 and 50% and supposedly became a fixed flat rate in 2004. I'm still looking for that flat rate! Payments are made via authorized banks who then in turn notify customs to release the item(s). It's all just too involved and too "maybe" for me? I'll just wait until my next trip back to Maui.

Back
Top Bottom