marathon suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LiteHedded

Contributor
Reaction score
looks like i'll be getting down to the marathon area for a couple of weeks.
I need some suggestions on reasonably priced dive shops for renting bc/reg/gauges
also I'd like to go out at least once with a dive operation there.
also any suggestions for shore diving around marathon?
I'm a very new diver so suggested dive sites should bear that in mind
what should I expect to pay to rent the aforementioned gear and go out on a dive trip while I'm there?
:)
thanks in advance!

We dove Marathon in June -- right after tropical storm Arlene passed over. I recommend Hall's Dive Center. They were a very professional outfit, with a knowledgable staff and dive boat crew. Their prices were on par with what I've paid to dive with operators in Key Largo (www.hallsdiving.com). Go to their website and you can click on a link for them to send you a nice DVD and brochure that spells out their prices, etc.

Marathon is a perfect dive location for beginning divers. Most of the dive sites are fairly shallow (25' - 40') but teaming with life. I saw stuff on these shallow sites I've never seen before in over 100 dives. The seas were only 1'-2' while we were there. Viz was 25'+ but improved throughout the week. To be expected right after a tropical storm. Our favorite dive sites were The Barge (aka The Aquarium), Herman's Hole (look for the small stuff!) and the ever popular Sombrero Reef. If you want to dive the Thunderbolt wreck (100'+ deep) you will need to show them you've done a deep dive recently. Its a great wreck, but expect a bit of a current. Nitrox certification gives you some extra bottom time so its not an elevator ride. If you have a pony bottle, I'd take it for extra peace of mind. They have pony bottles to rent. Try a night dive on Sombrero. I like how Halls does it. They actually turn it into a 2-tank dive: they moor on Sombrero at dusk and you get to go down and orient yourself to the site. Then you change tanks and go right back down the same place after the sun goes down. Bring your own dive light and batteries. Dive shop dive lights are not very reliable and they do not provide batteries.

We didn't do any shore diving. All the cool dive sites are less than 30 minutes away by boat.

Good luck!

CoyKoi:
We dove Marathon in June -- right after tropical storm Arlene passed over. I recommend Hall's Dive Center. They were a very professional outfit, with a knowledgable staff and dive boat crew. Their prices were on par with what I've paid to dive with operators in Key Largo (www.hallsdiving.com). Go to their website and you can click on a link for them to send you a nice DVD and brochure that spells out their prices, etc.

Marathon is a perfect dive location for beginning divers. Most of the dive sites are fairly shallow (25' - 40') but teaming with life. I saw stuff on these shallow sites I've never seen before in over 100 dives. The seas were only 1'-2' while we were there. Viz was 25'+ but improved throughout the week. To be expected right after a tropical storm. Our favorite dive sites were The Barge (aka The Aquarium), Herman's Hole (look for the small stuff!) and the ever popular Sombrero Reef. If you want to dive the Thunderbolt wreck (100'+ deep) you will need to show them you've done a deep dive recently. Its a great wreck, but expect a bit of a current. Nitrox certification gives you some extra bottom time so its not an elevator ride. If you have a pony bottle, I'd take it for extra peace of mind. They have pony bottles to rent. Try a night dive on Sombrero. I like how Halls does it. They actually turn it into a 2-tank dive: they moor on Sombrero at dusk and you get to go down and orient yourself to the site. Then you change tanks and go right back down the same place after the sun goes down. Bring your own dive light and batteries. Dive shop dive lights are not very reliable and they do not provide batteries.

We didn't do any shore diving. All the cool dive sites are less than 30 minutes away by boat.

Good luck!
I've been snorkeling on sombrero
I saw TONS of life
juvinile barracuda everywhere, a turtle, and a BIG bull shark swimming along the bottom
don't know if I have the courage for the night dive but maybe I'll give it a shot

I just got my cert in Marathon with Capt. Doug Morgan's outfit, great people, good gear, and very knowledgeable. I also booked my first two non-training dives with Tilden's dive shop, very nice people, gear was in great shape, and they were very helpful in explaining everything before, during and after the dive.

Marathon is a great place to dive, I take my family down 2 times a year. Once in April and then in Sept. Most of my dives are do it yourself, (I rent a boat and house for the week). We stay on Key Colony Beach, just a rock throw East of Marathon. There is a dive shop about a mile down Sadowski (probably not spelled right) on the left and they have always been very helpful with places to go and gps numbers. Hall's is also another very good choice over in Marathon. Dont miss Sombrero Reef its an awsome dive and shallow so you get lots of bottom time. Some other great dives are Coffins Patch and Samantha's Reef. And if your an advanced diver just out from Coffins is the Thunderbolt wreck thats a really nice dive. Anywhere you dive in Marathon you will be thrilled. Hope you have a great time and dont forget to give us an update when you get back.

I'll give you guys an update for sure
this will be my first dives since getting certified
I'll be alone when I go out and I'm kinda worried about getting paired with a more experienced buddy and ruining his trip.
I'm pretty confident in the water but I'm sure I'll suck my air faster than my buddy.
my friends father has been diving for 30 years or so but never got certified so he wont be able to come with me on the dive trips. maybe I'll practice a little with him and get my bouyancy down a little better and get comfortable before going out on a dive trip

and I hope to do a night dive. I'm kinda freaked out about it but I think I'll enjoy it

Dont worry about being a new diver and ruining your dive partners trip. If he/she is any kind of diver at all they will welcome you to one of the greatest gifts this world has to offer. I know when I dive with a new diver I love being able to show them tips and tricks to help make the whole diving experience one they will not forget. We none came out of basic openwater class knowing everything. It was from others that we gain the skills to excell in our sport. Marathon is very laid back diving. If you get a chance to do a night dive it unlike anything you could ever imagine. You can multiply the amount of marine life by about 10 at night. Along with lots of other creatures you didnt see during daylight.

Robby

LiteHedded:
looks like i'll be getting down to the marathon area for a couple of weeks.
I need some suggestions on reasonably priced dive shops for renting bc/reg/gauges
also I'd like to go out at least once with a dive operation there.
also any suggestions for shore diving around marathon?
I'm a very new diver so suggested dive sites should bear that in mind
what should I expect to pay to rent the aforementioned gear and go out on a dive trip while I'm there?
:)
thanks in advance!
if i was you i would go to dive rite divs center and rent you gear there and rent your self a boat to so you are not rushed to get in the water and you can make as many dives as you want and when you want
the dive center will give you a list of the best dive site to explore and what you will see
have fun and enjoy the keys it is a great place and you will enjoy

I am a dive instructor in Fort Myers, but we do all our open water check out dives with Tilden's Scuba Center on Duck Key- about mile marker 61. The staff there, especially Captain Joe and divemaster/instructor Wendy are incredible. The boat is great, the gear solid, and you will be VERY impressed how they will go out of their way to make you feel important, safe, and that you are having fun. Tilden's and their crew are, without a doubt, a top notch operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom