Marathon in April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks! New to the board, but not to diving. I will be in Marathon next week and was wondering what to expect for current, vis, water temp. I haven't been diving there before and don't know what kind of conditions we'll see. Hoping the wind dies down and the water is clear. We're scheduled to dive mid-reef, 40-60'. Most of the sites I see are shallower than that. I'm expecting we'll dive some sites around the Thunderbolt. Thanks in advance.

If the wind is from the West(gulf side) forget it..all the murky water from the gulf ends up on the Atlantic side. If from the East, vis may be decent. Water temps should be upper 70's...The reefs are in good shape with decent macro life and Bahia Honda state park is nearby (might want to dive Looe Key Reef a bit further down too). Sometimes there's a lot of current on the Thunderbolt but lots of sea life to see.

Thanks! Forecast is for ENE winds 10-15ish. As long as the swell/surge isn't too bad, should be ok.

Enjoy your diving in Marathon and if you have a chance drive down to Summerland key
and eat at Boondocks ! Cheers , Sea Dwellers

we want to hear all about your dive trip....

Complete blowout. Wind howling 10+ to 20mph sustained all week. Never got out on the water. Bummer. Did lots of other land based stuff there though. Now we need to go back when the weather is more conducive to being out on and under the water!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom