Marathon Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Budgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are heading down to Marathon the week of July 12-19 for a family vacation. We will have our boat with us and planning on doing a couple of dives while we are there. The whole family is going so a large part of the trip will be committed to fishing. Although with gas prices, we will probably be sitting in the boat fishing the canal :)

We have a few dive sites in the GPS...Sombrero, the arena (I think that is what its called, anyway that's what we call it!)...but I am looking for something new to check out...any local information would be great...

Thanks, Sharon

The most popular would be Sombrero, and it should keep you intertained for some time. Seven mile bridge artificial reef, Delta shoal is small but still interesting , Washerwoman shoal, and Delta shoal are diveable and If I remember they are also fishable. Coffins patch is a bit east of Sombrero (10 stat miles), and on the way there quite a few coral patches and humps. If you need some # to these pm me and ill send... Also I would suggest stoping by an marine patrol office to pick some current info on regs. Ive gotten them from a local FMP officer which details sanctuary boundries, fishing and other regs..

Have a safe trip and enjoy
Going The Distance

Just got back from Marathon 6/14. Great place to dive! Sombrero Reef is a great place -- beautiful -- and tons of fish to see. The Thunderbolt wreck is also a good dive (80-120 feet). There's a HUGE Goliath Grouper that lives there (take your camera). The folks at Tilden's Dive Shop are great. Have a great vacation. Good diving!

When you get there stop in at any dive shop or bait and tackle store and buy a hot spots chart. It will have all of the fishing and dive spots mapped with GPS numbers. Sombero is a must see. You really don't need the GPS numbers since it is marked with a big light tower. The eastern (deep) side of coffins patch is a great dive. Also take the time to find your own patch reef and explore it. Don't drop anchor on the reef, aways anchor in sand. You're too early for lobster season, which means you're guaranteed to see tons of them. Also look at a couple of places on gulf side if the ocean side weather doesn't cooperate. Mr. Matt and three boats and a hole (both on the chart) are excellent fishing and diving on the gulf side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom