Many Thanks to SoCal from a FL Visitor!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

giles45shop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just wanted to thank everyone for the GREAT time during my trip to SoCal. The hospitality, friendship and training that you showed me was abbsolutely incredible! You all were nice enough to take a very new diver under your collective wings and arrange dive trips, buddies, and tank usage, as well as the proper training on dealing with the surf entries and night diving.

I did five dives all over the area during my week-long stay:

#1: 1/17/07 Vets Park Twilight Dive: I meet Claudette for the first time in person. Wow! She's so postive and full of energy, and makes me feel very welcome. At Vet's it seems like she knows everyone. I meet LAJim and he dives w/ Claudette, Ken and myself. This is only my 24th dive, 3rd salt water dive, 1st surf entry and first night dive. Even with all that, these guys are so well prepared and confident it rubs off on me. Man, this wetsuit is thick (I feel like the Michelin Man) and it seems like a long walk down the stairs and across the beach. The surf entry wasn't too bad, and the 54 degree water didn't feel cold. Dive was 55' max for 52 minutes, chaulk this one up as my deepest dive to date! Saw all kinds of crabs, nudibranches,a baby octopus, squid eggs and flounder, as well as a bunch of other stuff which I don't know the names for. When you dive in lakes and springs, bass, gar, catfish, bream and turtles make for a pretty short list of names to remember. On the way out, I almost make it to shore before a wave gets me in about 2 ft of water and I have to crawl out rather than try and stand up on my tired legs. Probably an appropriate end to my first surf dive.

#2: 1/20/07 Point Dume: Claudette's off on a boat dive, so Kalani graciously offered to take me diving. We talk the night before and he gives me the directions and indicates that the surf report looks favorable. I drive up to Malibu and meet him at the park. He's another great SoCal person! I'm really lucky to meet all these great folks! The surf is larger than Vets, and then he tells me we have to swim around the giant cliff to the dive site :confused:

When Scott and Penny get there, I've now met a couple more great people, we get geared up and head out. The surf entry was okay, but the waves are HUGE for this FL boy! After swimming for about 15-20 minutes, we drop down. Scott and Penny disappear, but I stay right next to Kalani. There's ton's of stuff to see, including a friendly harbor seal and a Moray eel. I try not to upstage Kalani's high $ photo equipment w/ my $19.99 point and shoot camera. I take plenty of pictures until I notice drops of water inside the camera. I guess you get what you pay for :D
When I start to get low on air, we start heading back and surface about the point of the cliff. There's two Life Guards on a Jet Ski looking for us, because we had been gone over an hour. We assure them we are okay and the other two divers have larger tanks and know the area. After we've been ashore for about 15 minutes, Scott and Penny surface just off the beach. As we pack gear, Scott informs me that this is the most treacharous beach dive in SoCal :eyebrow: Glad he didn't tell me before the dive!

Dive #3: 1/20/07 Malibu Road. Scott takes us to one of his many Malibu spots. It's a much easier entry and we only have to swim about 50 yards. As before, Scott and Penny disappear, and I stick close to Kalani. I get to see some really cool kelp, lots of rock and fish. By now, I'm getting used to the entries and exits and don't fall down, but I'm still out of breath.

Dive #4: 1/21/07 Gorgonian City. Claudette picks me up in the early AM and we head out to Malibu. The first sight looks a little windy so we head to Gorgonian City. We get geared up and do a long walk down the beach in full gear. By the time we get to the entry, I'm huffing and puffing like a steam engine. Guess some aerobic excercise would be in order :D

I'm practically an expert on the entries in the big 2' surf :D, so no issues there. We drop down and start heading to where the rocks are supposed to be, but looks like someone moved them out deeper than what was anticipated. After a short search, we find it. Wow! Lot's and lot's of fish, soft corral, some lobsters and some really cool canyons and swim throughs. Claudette spots a baby giant black sea bass about an inch long. After lunch, we head up to Marineland, for a quick look around and nice drive along the coast. I can see why we don't dive there.

Dive #5: 1/22/07 Vets Park. Claudette picks me up for the last dive of my visit. We hit the water a little after 8PM, so it's a full on night dive. I'm using my super high-powered SL-4 light that makes Claudette's HID look like a candle :D . We gear up and drop, and Claudette's computer isn't working. We decide to go on my watch and depth gauge. My mask isn't sealing well and it seems like I have to clear it every few minutes. We go along the canyon and get to 70' for about 15 minutes, before getting back up to the 40' range. I finally start to feel a little bit like the popsicle diver that Claudette had kidded me about. A big sea lion buzzes past us 4 or 5 times. We see tons of squid, squid eggs, a big moon snail, bunches of crabs of different varieties, a lionfish, a small horn shark and a baby octo that changes colors and patterns about 6 times in the space of a few minutes before he gets mad a leaves. When we surface, the surf has picked up a little, but I make it out standing up! The moon is spectacular, laying sideways with a cheshire cat-like grin that disappears as we head to the car.

You SoCal divers are so lucky to have this great shore diving and all the neat locations! Back home on the Gulf Coast of FL, all of our salt water dives are boat dives, as you have to get miles offshore to get in 40' of water. That's why most of my diving has been in springs and lakes.

Thanks again to Kalani, Scott, Penny, Ken and Jim for such great hospitality. I owe a very special thanks to my new friend Claudette for diving with me, lending me tanks, driving me to dive sites and teaching me so much about SoCal diving. It's an experience I'll never forget and if any of you ever get to the Tampa area, please look me up. I don't know if I could live up to the hospitality shown to me, but I'll give it a try!

Thanks again and safe diving!

John

It was fun diving with you, John! Anytime you're in SoCal drop me a line and I'll be glad to dive with you again.

The surface swim at Pt Dume was indeed pretty choppy, but you handled quite well. Now you can pat yourself on the back and appreciate the conditions you dive in back at home! I wouldn't trade our underwater scenery for anything, however... makes it all worth while! :D

And Claudette, thanks again for loaning John the tank. I had three, so one to spare, but it was definitely nice not to have refill for our second dive on Saturday.

Try Orange County, San Diego or Catalina next time :)

Great report!

Glad you had a good time and conditions were favorable for learning surf entries.

Christian

That is so awesome that you enjoyed it that much, some people see surf, turn around and run....I have to tell you, you couldn't of hooked up with a better group of people. Scott and Penny know some wonderful sites. Props Claudette and Kalani for being the ambassadors for SoCal and showing this man a great time and being such good dive buddies to someone who'd never done our kind of diving before.

If you ever make it to San Diego let me know.

Kim

Kim,

Thanks for the offer, I get over here on an infrequent basis, usually only for a day or so, so I've never taken gear. This trip happened to work out where I would be here long enough to do something outside work.

I really wasn't too worried about the surf, as I grew up around the water (both salt & fresh) and have played lots of times in the surf (if you can call it that) in FL. Fortunately, the conditions were good and I didn't have to deal w/ any of the big surf that you guys can get.

John

John, it was truly a pleasure to introduce you to our SoCal green-water wonderland.

I so wanted you to be able to see the amazing variety and oddball beauty. And we got to see so much because you were rock solid in the water :D . Your enthusiastic appreciation refueled all of us that got to dive with you.

And we DID have fun!
  • That was the smallest "Giant" Black SeaBass I've ever seen! 2-inch Cutie!!
  • We gently held one of the smallest horn sharks in Redondo Canyon! (It still had creases on its right flank from being recently curled in the egg case!!)
  • 4 octopuses at Gorgonia City!
  • schools of Rubber-lip perches.
  • We found Gorgonia City, (since someone moved it out at least 5 feet deeper than it used to be. :shakehead ... you were so patient while I wandered across the sandy wilderness.:D )
  • You got through surf so fast, you looked back at me to see what was taking me so long :wink: . You are a very quick study!
  • That setting crescent moon was fantastic as it changed from orange to magenta before slipping below the horizon. Isn't it incredible to ascend, break the surface, and be looking up into a star-filled sky???
  • We saw the biggest, thickest squid egg patches that I've seen this year at Redondo. So glad you could endure a little popsicling while we cruised that productive 70fsw countour line. Another month here and we'd have you in a dry suit contemplating an hp130 :eyebrow: .
  • Nudibranchs!! Who knew you'd come all this way to discover the joy of slugs??!! FedEx's (Flabellina iodinea) were Everywhere we looked, and we even found Dendronotus frondosus and Hermissenda crassicornis at Redondo.
  • Sea pens, sea pansies, scorpion fish, garibaldis, sheephead, Crabs Galore!, Sand Dollar Beds, pinnipeds (sealion and harbor seal), those SQUID, tube anemones, acres of gorgonia, eel-grass rugby balls, Purple Globe crabs, thornback rays, sarcastic fringeheads, little midshipman burrowing into the sand, Lobsters... it was quite a gallery of fantastical creatures. It was a privilege to share it all with you, John.
Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm for diving.

Come back and dive with us again! There's so much to see.

And since you live only about an hour from Florida cave country.... hmmmm :eyebrow: ... there's just no telling when some reel-totin' SoCal Divers might take you up on your invitation for Floridian hospitality.

It was a pleasure, John.
Dive well!

Claudette

Back
Top Bottom