Manufacturing/replication offer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A double O-ring sealed, 3D printed, screw top, underwater canister capable of 200 foot depths. It would be very similar to the all all aluminum billet McMurdo cannister but taller to accommodate the newer marine 2 way radios that now include integrated GPS and DSC location transmissions.

They sold THOUSANDS of the Nautilus lifeline radios and the market for a taller canister would allow a diver to purchase their own radio and thus get around the MMSI debacle.

View attachment 459088

This might have the potential for a production run big enough to be viable! I'll look into materials, machined POM perhaps if we're doing a small run.

Yep and a lot of its brothers and sisters.
This I can do. I had supplier for silicone phone cases who has a standing offer for for any design... 2000 MOQ, but at pennies each maybe we can each afford a few hundred?

I'll look into a smaller production run and see if it makes more sense to order a reasonable quantity at a higher unit price.

What ballpark are we thinking we'd ideally need?

How about tooling cost... and who retains ownership of those tools, at what site?
Important considerations...

How about tooling cost... and who retains ownership of those tools, at what site?
Important considerations...

For the diaphragms I'm suspecting we can flood the market sufficiently the molds won't see use again in our lifetime. Perhaps they can come home with whoever speaks for biggest stash. Otherwise, I think we'd be ok with a factory keeping them? I'm intending to source from China.

You're right, it is mainly the tooling cost that is staggering.

You're right, it is mainly the tooling cost that is staggering.
Which is why tool ownership and location must be agreed upfront... source of many disagreements otherwise.
Most of these arrangements involve the toolmaker/injection moulding company retaining ownership of the tools, with the tool cost amortised over a minimum production run.
Freighting even a small injection moulding tool to the US will not be cheap, then it needs to be correctly stored.
The world market for vintage regulator diaphragms is not likely to be very large... even so I would urge you to use a project code number vs detailing exactly what model regulator it will fit!
However for other products with the possibility of very high margins on a very low unit cost (for example auto tail lamps), leaving ownership of the tool with the Chinese supplier can often lead to ghost production runs mysteriously appearing on the market :wink:

Last edited:
Which is why tool ownership and location must be agreed upfront... source of many disagreements otherwise.
Most of these arrangements involve the toolmaker/injection moulding company retaining ownership of the tools, with the tool cost amortised over a minimum production run.
Freighting even a small injection moulding tool will not be cheap.
The world market for vintage regulator diaphragms is not likely to be very large.
However for other products with the possibility of very high margins on a very low unit cost, leaving ownership of the tool with the Chinese supplier can often lead to ghost production runs mysteriously appearing on the market :wink:

Thank you, I suspect you may have had your hand is such projects professionally in the past?

If we do come up with a golden goose product mold I'll be glad you early on brought up the issue. Particularly something as relatively expensive as a DSV. I've sent a few emails out, getting someone interested is challenging.... I'm mentioning wanting 100 units. Maybe I've set the sights too low?

For the diaphragm, I'd be quite amused if a disgruntled factory went rogue on us with our molds and produced 100,000 units trying to cut us out of the vintage dive enthusiast market! Much more positive response already though.

They are asking for a proper sketch though for dimensions and I'm two countries away from my healthway regs. Seeing if my vague measurements can at least get a ballpark for a custom mold.

Thank you, I suspect you may have had your hand is such projects professionally in the past?
~snip~
I'm mentioning wanting 100 units. Maybe I've set the sights too low?
They are asking for a proper sketch though for dimensions and I'm two countries away from my healthway regs. Seeing if my vague measurements can at least get a ballpark for a custom mold.
Ah yes... and still am.
After 12 work trips to China over the past five years I have had some eye-popping experiences with toolmakers and moulding companies... I think I may be getting too cynical :D

100 units is WAY too low for the DSV around 500 units could be feasible using relatively low cost 'soft' injection moulding tools. Alternatives could be vacuum cast urethane but dimensional control (and therefore sealing) is generally not as accurate. Could be feasible for some components like the clamp ferrules.

Spend some time reading up at the ARRK website... they offer full rapid prototyping and limited production services.
ARRK USA: Prototyping | Injection Molding & Tooling Services

For the diaphragms, yes you will need to specify diameter, wall thickness, DURO and edge bead size. Most importantly the friction pad size and material (316 stainless?) and the fact it needs to be co-moulded in the tool with the silicon rubber. This will increase price significantly.

Last edited:
Ah yes... and still am.
After 12 work trips to China over the past five years I have had some eye-popping experiences with toolmakers and moulding companies... I think I may be getting too cynical :D
100 units is WAY too low for the DSV around 500 units could be feasible using relatively low cost 'soft' injection moulding tools. Alternatives could be vacuum cast urethane but dimensional control (and therefore sealing) is generally not as accurate. Could be feasible for some components like the clamp ferrules.
Spend some time reading up at the AARK website... they offer full rapid prototyping and limited production services.
ARRK USA: Prototyping | Injection Molding & Tooling Services

I can feel the headaches from here! Bet you have some remarkable stories!

Thankfully, I'm shallow enough into this it's pure enjoyment.

I'll enjoy the AARK link. Thanks. As much as this doesn't feel like work to you, I'll value your input as we move along.

...I do have to say I can store 2,000 diaphragms easier than 500 DSV though.

For the duro, maybe our collective knowledge knows already? Haven't used one of these yet:
s-l400.jpg

Cameron

Last edited:
Aim for 70 Duro to start with

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom