Manufacturing/replication offer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I enjoy sourcing as a mental diversion to life stresses and need a project.

Looking for ideas of a part that would be useful to the community which we could share the cost of manufacturing a small production run.

I'd see the process through till the parts are in hand and then those interested can purchase from me at cost.

I was working with a machinist to do a run of 100 banjo fittings as I wanted some (not out much money yet)... Then discovered reproductions are already readily available.

Needing a new project.
Cameron

(Edited for readability. Thanks)

Last edited:
does vdh not carry those anymore?
Listed as out of stock... but Scuba Museum has already remanufactured these banjo fittings for $49 each.
These are brand new chrome plated brass banjo fitting so you can use a SPG on your double hose
About Us

Discovered them yesterday. To my mixed joy and disappointment... Now I need a better sourcing project.
OK how about remanufacturing the Healthways Hope-Paige double hose mouthpiece?
3D scan the housing then use to generate a 3D file, metal filled epoxy (soft) injection moulding tool, respecify to high performance PC-ABS material, and CNC machine new 316 stainless hose connector ferrules. The originals were anodised aluminium and didn't fare well in salt water!
Hope Paige_1.jpg
Hope Paige_2.jpg

Last edited:
OK how about remanufacturing the Healthways Hope-Paige double hose mouthpiece?
3D scan the housing then use to generate a 3D file, soft tooled, respecify to high performance PC-ABS material, and CNC machine new 316 stainless hose connectors. The originals were anodised aluminium and didn't fare well in salt water!
View attachment 458764 View attachment 458765

I'll put out a few emails... Personally, I've been watching for that mouthpiece for years. Haven't come across one yet at a justifiable price as they get snatched up quickly.

First blush, I suspect the costs might be a little prohibitive for this replicating this part.

Certainly fulfills my need regardless. I'll report back in a few days as I piece together those who can make it happen, I've not done a project in Polycarbonate-ABS yet.

If this gets off the ground I'll be welcoming your ongoing input.

Cheers!
Cameron

I don’t see any practical advantage of the Hope/Paige over the DSV from VDH but I’m not to driven by nostalgia, on the other hand I have no other suggestions other than easy to install weight plates for the freedom plate.

I don’t see any practical advantage of the Hope/Paige over the DSV from VDH but I’m not to driven by nostalgia, on the other hand I have no other suggestions other than easy to install weight plates for the freedom plate.
I'm not saying the Hope-Paige is perfect by any stretch... but it was revolutionary back-in-the-day when current double hose loops were not equipped with non-return valves.
Flooding a hose had significant dangers so the HP was a useful accessory until manufacturers caught up with their own versions...even then the HP enabled replacement mouthpieces and easy valve checking or washing and draining of hoses.

The VDH DSV is an updated version of the HP with better flow characteristics and the addition of an integral shutoff to prevent free flowing at the surface... big improvements for sure but hoses are still clamped on and slow to remove.

With the Aqualung Mentor (a refined new DH design by Aqualung for military use, not available to the general public) a few of the HP mouthpiece design shortcomings were addressed, o-ring seals introduced on the valve carrier along with ruggedised QD moulded plastic attachment ferrules. Maybe some... ahem...inspiration... possible from the Mentor design?

AL Mentor.PNG

http://www.aqualung.com/militaryandprofessional/product_information/108568_Mentor_Tech_Manual.pdf

Last edited:
I've been thinking about an inlet fitting for conshelf seconds that would take the Scubapro 108/109 adjustable orifice.... letting you tune the second to the first instead of vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom