Manufacturer reputations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
I certified two or three decades ago, and haven't been diving lately, and am getting back into it. Seems there are new and different things going on, like people swimming while holding their hands in front of them, and not overweighting themselves, and using electronic gadgets rather than their SPG to tell them when their dive is over. That's all nice. But regarding gear, back when I first started there were some well known companies that made kludgy, industrial looking gear that was pretty solid, just ugly (US Divers, ScubaPro, Aqua Lung, maybe Sherwood) and some companies that had some sort of design aesthetic in addition to making functioning gear.(Sea Quest, TUSA, Mares). Over time, a company's name can hang on while quality declines (Schwinn bicycles comes to mind, as it's just a licensed name now). And there are some brands I've never heard of that appear to be priced lower than other gear for a reason. What's making me wonder is that I've seen some criticism of both Oceanic and Mares. Are those companies really slipping into the bottom tier? Because I like the look and descriptions of some of their gear, and I might be in the market for gear this Christmas.

I certified two or three decades ago, and haven't been diving lately, and am getting back into it. Seems there are new and different things going on, like people swimming while holding their hands in front of them, and not overweighting themselves, and using electronic gadgets rather than their SPG to tell them when their dive is over. That's all nice. But regarding gear, back when I first started there were some well known companies that made kludgy, industrial looking gear that was pretty solid, just ugly (US Divers, ScubaPro, Aqua Lung, maybe Sherwood) and some companies that had some sort of design aesthetic in addition to making functioning gear.(Sea Quest, TUSA, Mares). Over time, a company's name can hang on while quality declines (Schwinn bicycles comes to mind, as it's just a licensed name now). And there are some brands I've never heard of that appear to be priced lower than other gear for a reason. What's making me wonder is that I've seen some criticism of both Oceanic and Mares. Are those companies really slipping into the bottom tier? Because I like the look and descriptions of some of their gear, and I might be in the market for gear this Christmas.

Things have changed I guess...

Generally:
  • Scubapro now has a solid reputation but some people complain of its high price; it's considered "high end" gear now
  • Aqualung has some innovative products that people seem to like, such as the Outlaw and Rogue BCDs, and they bought Whites Fusion Drysuits and that has a good reputation; I find they're innovative
  • Mares is not so popular this side of the pond but it's got some solid products, such as the Mares Avanti Quattro fins, which are a classic
  • US Divers, Seaquest, TUSA - I'm not familiar with these at all; maybe I'm not in an area where these products are sold, or maybe they're no longer as big as they used to be (but I've heard of them)
  • Oceanic and Sherwood - these are still around but not very noticeable in my marketplace
  • there are so many other brands now that you could consider, too many to name
  • I don't buy based on brand; I buy based on the product, so I've got stuff from all kinds of brands, including: Shearwater, Dive Rite, Halcyon, Henderson, Oceanic, Mares, Aqualung, Scubapro, Deep6, etc.
  • Quality these days is generally very good
  • aesthetics is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't buy based on aesthetics; I buy mainly based on features, functionality and fit/comfort

• US Divers is Aqualung, and always has been. It's the name they first went to market with in the US, and is still used on some of their sporting goods lines.
  • Seaquest was bought by Aqualung, current Aqualung BCs are evolved from Seaquest. Some if not all Seaquest regs were OEM Aqualung.
  • Oceanic had some painful years recently. They are now a brand, not a company. New owners are getting them back to health.
  • I don't know what you heard knocking Mares, they make some solid, well designed and executed gear.
  • I think you forgot to ask about Dacor - gone. Sold to Mares almost 20 years ago. I am not counting the "new" Dacor stuff from West Marine, that Mares let them slap a Dacor label on.
  • TUSA is a Japanese company, Tabata USA.
  • Sherwood/Genesis makes some good stuff too, and is now a single owner company for the first time I am aware of. So probably will be more focused in the future.
  • Oceanic, Zeagle, Hollis, Atomic are all the same owner.
I am not aware of any slipshod culture or inferior reputation at any of these companies, although they have all had their share of missteps.

I believe Seaquest was absorbed into Aqualung some years ago. Dacor into Mares about a decade ago.

Lately there's been some corporate acquisitions.
Huish Outdoors owns Atomic Aquatics, Bare, and AUP which is Oceanic/Hollis, Zeagle and at least one more. They shut down Aeris a couple years ago.

Aqualung owns Apeks and Pelagic who make computers for Aqualung and Oceanic.
US Divers was absorbed into Aqualung some years ago. (corrected - see post below)

Johnson Outdoors owns Scubapro and I believe Subgear (EU)

Mares recently acquired the SSI dive organization which absorbed NASDS about a decade ago.

US Divers now sells a full line of snorkel gear but no dive products.

so there's been a few changes...

I believe Seaquest was absorbed into Aqualung some years ago. Dacor into Mares about a decade ago.

Lately there's been some corporate acquisitions.
Huish Outdoors owns Atomic Aquatics, Bare, and AUP which is Oceanic/Hollis, Liquivision and at least one more. They shut down Aeris a couple years ago.

Air Liquide owns Aqualung, Apeks and Pelagic Perssure who make computers for AL and Oceanic.

Johnson Outdoors owns Scubapro and I believe Subgear (EU)

Mares recently acquired the SSI dive organization which absorbed NASDS about a dceade ago.

so there's been a few changes...
Actually, Air Liquide sold Aqualung to a private equity group a couple of years ago. And the structure is that Aqualung owns Apeks and Pelagic, and a few other sporting goods companies, so they were included in the sale.

What's making me wonder is that I've seen some criticism of both Oceanic and Mares. Are those companies really slipping into the bottom tier? Because I like the look and descriptions of some of their gear, and I might be in the market for gear this Christmas.
Nothing wrong with either brand. Mares used to have a large presence in my area many moons ago. It's still available from a number of shops, three within 20 miles that I know off the top of my head.
Oceanic has never had a large footprint.

Do your home work. If that's what you want, find a dealer and have them order it in, if not in stock. If they want you're hard earned $$ they should do it.

Mares fins, rashguards, masks - solid Yes,
Mares life supporting equipment, as well as computers - strongly No.

Recently Mares seems to be using more plastic in things like tank supports. There's been several threads here about replacing them when they crack during use.

I personally consider them a 2nd tier company for regulators now compared to Atomic, Apeks,. Scubapro or Aquaung.

Cressi has increased their US presence the past decade - there's a Cressi-USA website and they sell thru Leisurepro.com.

Dive Rire is still around. Not popular here so IDK much about them. From what I've read it seems like solid gear.

Deep6 is interesting - they're bypassing the traditional retail channels and selling directly to consumers by including regulator service kits for self-service - or by a local tech.

The owner brought Hog/Edge to diving some years ago. Both brands madeby the Taiwan OEM - ODS.

@JackD342
stated
US Divers is Aqualung, and always has been. It's the name they first went to market with in the US, and is still used on some of their sporting goods lines.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Great post good research -- or memory
Suggest rlease research and post history correct
Rene Sports > US Divers >> Aqua Lung (& US Divers)
SDM

I was simplifying for the context of that question, did not see the point in going into deeper detail. Correct if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will, but my understanding us that the regulators sold by those first two companies were always Aqualung, either imported whole or assembled from their components.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom