manual white balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee:
I found it...sort of. I got the layers pallete on but it doesn't have the curves like yours and I only have an undo history. Probably a PSE thing.
We should have gotten the full version while it was on sale at amazon for $169....

LOL...I'm beginning to think so, too!

I can't get the gradient thing to do colors, just black and white.

I sure to do need a personal one on one tutorial for this stuff!

Dee:

I was having a bit of luck using the magic wand....and then changing the red levels.....for us it's just 'keep trying!"

Dee:

Black and white is what you want it to do. The mask layer should only be black/white, like in my example.

Sorry it's not easy to explain this stuff. If I could show you you'd get it in less than 5 minutes, but it's really hard to explain from a distance.

I should have probably asked how much people understand how masking works. In my example you have a Levels adjustment layer with a mask layer. The changes you make in Levels will affect the entire image if you don't have a mask. With a mask, you're limiting the affect that the Levels layer will have. Wherever the mask is white, the Levels layer will have full effect on the image. Where the mask is black, it will have no effect. Where the mask is grey, it will have some effect.

When you create the mask with the gradient tool (using the options I mentioned before) you create the mask such that it starts out white where you begin the gradient and fades to black out to where you end the gradient. You want to make the mask such that it is white where the red you want to remove is strongest, and fades from grey to black over the area where the red fades away. All areas of the image that don't have red you want to remove should be black in the mask.

When you have your mask set up like this, you can then go to the levels tool and decrease the red. Because the mask is proportionate to the intensity of the red, you should see it disappear out smoothly, with no affect on the rest of the image.

I know, I'm being as clear as mud. Has anyone else figured it out who might explain it better?

I guess it's the mask thing that's tripping me up or the step I'm missing. At some point it gradated all the way across the photo, lightening all the colors.

I'm sure it's not your explanations, they seem quite clear. I'm just not sure about lots of the terminology, uses of tools, etc.....a total PS newbie! I think I need to spend some time in the help section, learning about the mask thing.

Thanks for your efforts so far!

I know, I'm being as clear as mud. Has anyone else figured it out who might explain it better?

You're doing great...I have just be working on the computer all day and am now a bit *Blah*....

lol....OHhh! the one is a vase sponge....I think and the other is a type of flounder....when small they are just like any other fish and as they get older the eye sorta moves to the other side.....kinda interesting....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom