Manual White Balance, Olym C4000Z

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrea31419

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me about using the manual white balance when taking pics u/w.... I didn't use the mwb on my last dive...so photos were lacking to say the least.

Thx.
Andrea
Sav.Ga.

Once you go underwater color starts getting filtered out as you know from OW scuba classes. Setting the manual white balance underwater by pointing the camera at a slate (or some known white object...Dee uses sandy bottom) will tell the camera what "white" is and then as a result the camera can figure out what color everything else should be.
The white balance needs to be set at the depth the photo will be taken at. It may need to be reset several times through a dive as the sun goes in and out and your depth chages.

So all I have to do is adjust the manual white balance so the sand or slate looks white, then the cam does the rest?

A.

Andrea,
Yes, the camera ALMOST does the rest. I use MWB on all my strobeless photos. I don't use the sand to calibrate the WB but instead a dive slate. Actually, I use a cut off piece of a white laundry detergent jug. The plastic is heavy duty, you can get several pieces from one large container, and it's free.
You will still need to adjust the photo in a software program.

Here is an example of a before and after picture with the adjustment details

Hi, does it mean that we can just bring a piece of plastic or anything 'white' down to dive to enable us to calibrate MWB??

Gilligan:
Andrea,
Yes, the camera ALMOST does the rest. I use MWB on all my strobeless photos. I don't use the sand to calibrate the WB but instead a dive slate. Actually, I use a cut off piece of a white laundry detergent jug. The plastic is heavy duty, you can get several pieces from one large container, and it's free.
You will still need to adjust the photo in a software program.

Here is an example of a before and after picture with the adjustment details

Any such thing as white neoprene? I can't imagine lugging around a white slate (or piece of plastic), camera, then, pointing camera at slate, pushing several buttons to set white balance all at the same time...

Now, if you can wear a white wetsuit... Or maybe paint the tank white?

Dee, if you're reading--how about a white elastic cloth that you bungees (is that a verb?) around your buddy's tank (or head :) ) so you can set white balance?

I can't imagine lugging around a white slate (or piece of plastic),
you make it sound like a dive slate or a piece of plastic is exceptionally heavey and difficult to transport...

Back
Top Bottom