Manual dry suit exhaust valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skynscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have an opportunity to purchase a suit in very good condition, with a great fit. It has a manual exhaust valve, instead of the adjustable automatic valves I've used on rentals. I've confirmed with the manufacturer that it's just too expensive, in the context of the whole deal, to change this to the current production (adjustable, automatic) valve, since some fabric repairs would have to be done.

My question:

Is the manual exhaust a lot of bother to use? Is it a _significant_ safety issue?

Thanks,

skyNscuba

skynscuba once bubbled...
Hi,

I have an opportunity to purchase a suit in very good condition, with a great fit. It has a manual exhaust valve, instead of the adjustable automatic valves I've used on rentals. I've confirmed with the manufacturer that it's just too expensive, in the context of the whole deal, to change this to the current production (adjustable, automatic) valve, since some fabric repairs would have to be done.

My question:

Is the manual exhaust a lot of bother to use? Is it a _significant_ safety issue?

Thanks,

skyNscuba

How Old is it??? What kind of suit is it? Changing the valve shouldn't be that difficult. What are we missing?

>How Old is it??? What kind of suit is it? Changing the valve
> shouldn't be that difficult. What are we missing?

It's an OSS suit, manufactured 8 years ago, but supposedly
purchased new (old stock?) about 2 years ago, and only
used a couple of times. Looking at it, it hasn't been used much.

The newer exhaust valve is much smaller, so the existing valve opening in the arm is too big. So, the opening would have to be closed using a backing piece of material and two plugs before installing the new gasket and valve. The cost runs over $200, plus round-trip shipping, and that makes it not-so-competitive with buying a similar new suit, or a better used suit which already has the better valves. I've not asked whether the repair would look as good cosmetically, as the original. The inlet valve is also not that great -- non-rotating, and would need to be rotated to a better position, not a big deal, but another bother.

skyNscuba

Well...I can get this car really cheap, but it's going to need new exhaust all the way back for a couple hundred, and the steering wheel doesn't turn, so I'm going to have to replace the whole streeing shaft and from housing.....

I know that's a complete exageration and that a manual exst and non rotating inlet don't make the suit undivable, but why buy it if it's not exactly what you want. Hold you money, there are always suits out there, one will come along that has everytying you want for the price you want

Any reason not to use a different brand of valve, like one that'll match the hole?
Si Tech makes several valve ports (mounting discs) that run up to dang near 4 inches in diameter. No extra fabric needed with those critters unless the old velve is the size of a saucer.
Have you checked with OS Systems, or is this what you were told at a shop?

The drysuit I use is a manual exhaust, and since I have never used an automatic valve, it's never been a burden.

The other thought I would have is to just leave the manual there to fill the hole and punch a new hole nearby for a new valve that way you wouldn't have to make repairs just new holes.

Good luck.

Chad

>Si Tech makes several valve ports (mounting discs) that run up
>to dang near 4 inches in diameter. No extra fabric needed with
>those critters unless the old velve is the size of a saucer.
>Have you checked with OS Systems, or is this what you were
>told at a shop?

I checked with OSS.

I see the valve ports on the Si-Tech web site. The OSS suit doesn't have a port, per se, just an extra layer of material glued on the inside as reinforcing. Maybe the port would be an easier solution to retrofit.

I couldn't quite tell how the si-tech ports are used. Is there one piece of plastic, which is glued to the inside of the suit, with an appropiate-sized hole in the fabric, to which the valve is mounted? Or is there an inside and an outside piece? What parts are needed, what is the approximate cost, and where is a good place to get them?

Thanks,

skyNscuba

The valve port is just a single disc of rubber with the appropriate hole & grooves in the center, it gets glued to the outside of the suit. The valve seats to the port and a nut-baffel w/nylon washer get threaded onto it from the inside.
Retail for the exhaust valve is $95 & the port is $17.
Your local Viking dealer will no doubt be happy to give you a healthy discount though. :wink:
The folks at Si Tech invented the variable exhaust valve, by the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom