Manual calculation for accelerated deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@lowviz Cool beans.

Cascade on one hand may be the most difficult to approach from a diving perspective, but also explains a lot of how the RD blueprint is designed.

You may find that section particularly interesting.

The basis that OW-students learn, is Min Deco (think NDL with a slowed down ascend instead of a 5m stop), and from there, progressively deeper set points are added like building blocks throughout diver training, 1:1, 1:2 and 1:3, finishing with Cascade.

I hope you find the materials interesting.

There is of course also some who favor a Schrödinger paradigm in arguing that Ratio Deco at the same time overemphasises deep stops and underemphasises deep stops.

You misunderstood the implications of diving at altitude, concluded that that put an underemphasis on deep stops, and now you're mocking that statement? That's a strawman argument if I've ever seen one.

You misunderstood the implications of diving at altitude, concluded that that put an underemphasis on deep stops, and now you're mocking that statement? That's a strawman argument if I've ever seen one.

Hardly.
The whole conversation simply went off the rails because I said something to the effect of altitude diving effecting bouyancy in a manner that I honestly think is insignificant.

Allow me to disambiguate:

I'm concluding that I think "more" deep stop emphasis (such as RD, for instance) on an altitude dive along with added shallow stop time, seems reasonable to me, given an increased relative pressure difference.

Hence the quote. I think it strange when someone critizises Ratio Deco for overemphasis on deep stops at sea level, in the context of altitude diving, while at the same time disregarding the openness to - and indeed expectancy upon - diver adaptation for a number of factors.

Finally, I must say that I find it interesting how throughout my training, the only place I've heard that UTD policy is that altitude diving doesn't effect decompression principles, is from one or two non-UTD divers on Scubaboard.

Everyone I've met in UTD advocate that Ratio Deco is a tool rather than a written-in-stone algorithm, and that adjustment should be made for a great number of factors - some of which are relatively clearly defined, others less so.

Ultimately, one would be hard pressed to take offence with that, without stipulating in return which algorithm is "right".

That's what I was referring to with the "burp"-remark, following a previous conversation you and I had about bouyancy at altitude.
I have never in this thread mentioned buoyancy at altitude. Never once. You are the one that keeps bringing it up and ridiculing me for mentioning it. I talked about the growth of bubbles in the tissues upon ascent as a result of Boyle's Law as being a key issue. I clarified that yesterday, and you continue to ignore it.

Firstly, I think we can agree that's too oversimplified, and the 20% you mention here, is completely incontextual.
I don't agree that it is oversimplified at all. It's pretty clear. What is the complication that we are not mentioniing?

I have no idea what "completely incontextual" means.

1) From the context of what you're quoting, and the onset of this conversation, you'll see that I've consistently acknowledged that altitude has some impact on physiological decompression - but I think that in terms of bouyancy control, it's just a bad excuse for worse skills.
As has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread, you are the only one mentioning buoyancy control.

I have no idea what "completely incontextual" means.
It means "out of context."

It means "out of context."
I guess I understood the literal meaning of the words--I have no idea what it means in this context. It is the most important factor in altitude diving--how is it completely out of context?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom