Mantus Marine dive compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will make some calls! James at Divers Read is someone you can trust. He would not produce a fake review.

I dropped an email to Mantus Marine with a link to this forum and to James to Divers Ready. Had a quick acknowledgement from Greg at Mantus. Unclear if we get more out of it than that!

I know for a fact that James at Divers Ready is keen to test most products and give it his honest review and opinion. Sadly he can't purchase all the products. I think everyone is in Florida, US. If someone in Florida is thinking to purchase the Mantus Dive Compressor, there might be a deal to be made. Ask for a discount and tell them that you are thinking of asking James at Divers Ready to test the product before you get it. What I have not done at this point is - ask James! My knowledge of James - he will love to test it, and give it an honest review.

Everyone can come out as a winner.

Mantus is one of four highly regarded designers and manufacturers of SHHP (super high holding power) anchors and related ground tackle for oceangoing yachts, the others being Rocna (in Canada), Manson (in New Zealand), and Spade Anchor (In Florida). These manufacturers primarily serve a niche community of liveaboard cruisers who spend a substantial number of days at anchor each year on sailboats in the 30-60' range. Roughly half of these individuals are scuba divers. By virtue of living aboard a self-contained sailboat they have ready access to dive opportunities in otherwise inaccessible locations from their own vessel or from a dinghy. In most cases these aren't especially deep dives and indeed often they are areas that can be explored by snorkeling. These same sailors also dive to check the set of their anchor, to clean marine growth from the bottom of their boat, to deal with fouling from lines or traps, and (as @Akimbo notes upthread) to effect repairs.

For clarity, these are individuals who have completed OWD certification or equivalent, at least in the vast majority of cases.

Dive gear designed for shorter duration dives in shallow, warm water serves these needs well and offers an alternative to hookah systems (which are popular in this application). My boats are smaller but I have experimented with minimalist dive configurations using smaller cylinders and no BC and even though I have concluded that the space savings over a BP/W with a smaller wing aren't that great, I can see the attraction. There is a real need, and most people aren't aware of the BP/W alternative.

Gas logistics is a major barrier to diving for this group. Obtaining gas fills ashore is usually untenable: the boat is ordinarily at anchor so cylinders have to be transferred to shore in a dinghy, then transported to a dive shop (with public transportation not always allowing dive cylinders depending on country), then back. Space aboard is limited as is power. A relative handful (I've heard 10%) of these boats have compressors, usually powered by a gasoline engine, and in many cases offer fills to other boats on a barter basis. There's more electricity on boats now than 5-10 years ago due to advancements in solar power and LiFePO4 battery technology, but electric-powered compressors are still rare.

A compressor that runs off electricity, that is small and light enough for one person to move from a storage locker to an operating location on deck, and that is sized to run from smaller electrical systems that are 120v only, meets a genuine need for this small market. The usual questions about lifespan, parts availability, filtration design, maximum pressure, and service intervals all still apply.
Well said! As an liveaboard/owner of a 40’ cat, I’m looking for an electric dive compressor that sips electricity. We have a 4kw generator and all the time in the world. Did you buy a compressor, and if so, which one? I have the option of the Mantus (electric) or the Junior2 gas.

Well said! As an liveaboard/owner of a 40’ cat, I’m looking for an electric dive compressor that sips electricity. We have a 4kw generator and all the time in the world. Did you buy a compressor, and if so, which one? I have the option of the Mantus (electric) or the Junior2 gas.
I have looked at & test run a Mantus. I would rather buy a Bauer. The difference in quality is night & day.

Size is an issue on a sailboat & the Mantus is small. Unfortunately, it is constructed from flimsy components & it has insufficient cooling. It might be OK for filling that little tank in the scuba system they also sell if you are careful about how you use it, but filing an AL80 is asking a lot of that little thing. Expect to manually change the cooling water as it's running if you want to fill an 80. If you have a good supply of cool fresh water, this may be an option.

If you get a 3 phase Bauer Jr, you can run it off of a variable frequency drive & reduce the power requirements. Alternately, you can put a reduced HP motor on it & change the pulley size to run it more slowly with the same torque. You could even just reduce the pulley ratio with the existing motor. In either case, you will take longer to fill a tank, but you will be able to run from a smaller power feed. At slower speeds, you may need to add a cooling fan, but some sailors have had success without one. Some people even get away with running them from an inverter, if they have big solar & a big battery bank.

That aside, a 4kw genset might be able to run standard motor on a Bauer Jr, if you are not also running your AC or other big loads at the same time. A 3hp Bauer Jr. can be run from a 230vac 1 phase, 15 amp supply. There is an inrush current consideration at start up for any electric motor, which can be significant if you are not running off a drive or a soft start, but a good 4kw genset may be able to handle it. The Bauer has a somewhat conservative pulley ratio. The motor doesn't run at 100%FLA & the inrush doesn't last that long. Somewhere here I posted actual meter readings from mine. The numbers were lower than I had expected. See if you can borrow a Jr. from someone who has one & try it on your genset. You might get lucky.

I'm a pretty big fan of everything Mantus makes, except for their dive compressor.

For a period of time I had a small, lightweight military surplus compressor. I was unable to get it to work reliably and ended up scrapping it.

I have a number of boat projects to do before I can look seriously at a compressor again. I have a Tartan 3800 now that will require significant electrical upgrades before an electric compressor could be considered. At this point I just bring cylinders from shore.

Back
Top Bottom