Manthiri and the Maldives-Photography questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
We are a group from the US diving on the Manthiri during the last week of March/first week of April this year. We have a couple of questions for those who have traveled to the Maldives during this time of year.
1--What type of water conditions and temperatures should we expect during this time period?
2--Several are photographers. The region is known for large pelagics. Given the type of diving and in the interest of weight restrictions, is there any reason to need anything other than midrange and wide angle types of equipment? Is there much opportunity for macro?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

We were there in a January long ago. Pretty sure the temp was always at least 80-82-84. We didn't see whale sharks but know people who went couple months later in March and did. But other sharks, rays, Napoleon wrasse, etc. Lots of fish and I recall plenty of macro as well. Sometimes all sizes of stuff at once so you didn't know what to look at. Macro photography in the currents might be another matter.

Tropical temperatures year round 27-28 degrees C. Locally currents can bring it down, last visit a couple of years a go I had a lowest reading of 24 C on a dive—but that was in a roaring current sweeping up from the deep. A well fitting 3 mm full suit is my reccomendation also for some ”impact” and stinging protection.
Plenty of rays and sharks in the maldives. Macro too, but not really the big draw. For photography I would say manta rays would be my reason. Sharks (grey reef) always difficult to get close enough, seem more shy than in other parts of the world. Reefs/coral can be good in spots for CF WA, but a lot of the shallows have suffrred from numeral bleachings, the biggest one in 1998. So... bring wider optics.
Many of the ’best’ Maldivian dives can be quite challenging for a photographer. They are in channels between or on the outside of atolls when current is picking up. It can be rather challenging even w/o a camera. Negative entries and no way of staying put if you don’t use hooks or hold on. Currents can be mask ripping in certain spots. The more mellow dives inside atolls, Thilas, can be good too, but inmo generally not as exciting. Liveaboards tend to adapt after guests wishes and abilities. March is a little calmer currents and wind as season is more ”settled” than eg December-January.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom