MantaBite mouthpiece - some safety for O2 hits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teksimple

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I know that full face masks will help prevent immediate drowning if convulsing from hyperoxia, but has anyone considered the MantaBite mouthpiece on their DSV?

http://www.manta-bite.com

Would you think it worth ANY merit for safety? Anyone tried it?

- Kent

teksimple:
I know that full face masks will help prevent immediate drowning if convulsing from hyperoxia, but has anyone considered the MantaBite mouthpiece on their DSV?

- Kent

Seen it in DEMA, seems very cheaply made.

teksimple:
- Kent

I use one on open circuit - about 80 dives with it so far and it seems sturdy enough. I like it for taking some 2nd stage weight off my jaw, cuts down on TMJ (I really felt it when using the original mouthpiece).

I'm pretty sure if I were "just" unconscious the mantabite would stay in place. For O2 hits, just how energetic are convulsions? Is there any degree of muscle control at all? It _might_ buy enough time to recover, but if I couldn't keep a normal mouthpice in place it is hard to imagine how I would have enough dexterity to add diluent or whatever. It _might_ buy a little extra time for a buddy to step in and do that.

Anyway, I don't use it for the potential safety features - just comfort (and yes, one of these days I'm going to try sea-cure).
-- John G

John,

good feed back, thank you.

teksimple:
- Kent

IMHO One thing to consider when changing mouthpiece is that some increase the work of breathing epecially in closed circuit breathing loops and IMHO to a point that the increased work load could bring on secondary problems. The standard SCUBA bite mouthpiece fits a spigot 1.1 by 0.5 inches however it is the clear flow area and the length thats the secret for good BPR ventilation. I am sure this is consept unknown to the rubber mouthpiece moulders but changing the mouthipiece without regard to the ventilated flow will affect the performance of you work of breathing.

I use one on my RB & wouldn't use anything other than a mantabite, love it :)

fubari:
For O2 hits, just how energetic are convulsions? Is there any degree of muscle control at all? It _might_ buy enough time to recover, but if I couldn't keep a normal mouthpice in place it is hard to imagine how I would have enough dexterity to add diluent or whatever. It _might_ buy a little extra time for a buddy to step in and do that.

-- John G

The convulsive movement of the body may vary from visible "jerking" movements to twitiching movements of the eyes, which may or may not be observable.

There is typically no conscious muscle control, and the patient may not be aware of his or her condition.

If the lips contract around the mouthpiece as the jaws clench, it "might" stay in place for a short time. Typically, however, the movement of the lips and jaw causes the mouthpiece to be ejected. As such, the FFM is the only sure way to protect the diver's airway in the event of a seizure.

Rob :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom